Please sign in to post.

Florence to Montepulciano

In September I will be in Amsterdam before heading to Montepucliano for a week then back to AMS for a couple more days. Is there a train I can take or is it just easier to fly? I would like to take a train but only have the 13th and part of the 14th. Should I take a car service from FLorence to Montepulciano? Dare i rent a car?

Posted by
23573 posts

We were just there. Don't remember seeing a train station or any flat areas for an airport. If you rent a car (we did) make sure you have a good GPS.

Posted by
3112 posts

For a week in Montepulciano, I'd consider renting a car - at the Florence airport if you fly. It's a small town with not the greatest public transportation connections, so having a car will give you a lot more options for exploring the surrounding area. If you do opt for public transit, from Florence airport take the bus to Santa Maria Novella station, a train to Chiusi and a bus to Montepulciano. IMO, that's better than going via Siena.

Posted by
6898 posts

For a week in Montepulciano, you definitely will need a rental car. Bus service is not that frequent to get you around Tuscany although you can do this by bus if you route via Siena and other hubs. Also, the Montepulciano train station is about 5 miles from the real Montepulciano. The train lets you off at Montepulciano Stazione. It's not the main area of Montepulciano that you are looking for. The rental car is best.