Please sign in to post.

Flight To Germany Booked: $1114.00

That's on Continental and was the most economical I could get even bidding on Priceline. I have a question regarding baggage, since I haven't flown in a while. I have a piece of luggage which will fit in the overhead bin as a carry-on and I know I am allowed one extra personal item (briefcase, handbag, diaper bag etc.), but what about a small duffel to fit under the seat in front, which would contain toiletries, water, books, etc.? Thanks Bill

Posted by
805 posts

I second the backpack as well. If you plan to travel by train at all, having a backpack is much easier to travel with since it makes it easier to have your hands free while transiting to/from trains.

Posted by
1035 posts

A daybag/backpack (not the really big ones backpackers carry) can be brought aboard along with your carry-on. You'll have to buy water once you clear TSA, they won't let you bring any through. Toiletries need to be under 3oz. Instead of a duffel, it might be worth investing in a bag that can double as a day bag when you are out and about in Europe. Have fun.

Posted by
1883 posts

For peace of mind, go to Continental's website under "baggage" all the information you need is there. If you are still unsure, call customer service. AND, if you don't feel you understood what the CS agent says, call again before you pack/depart for your trip. Restrictions can change, so it's always a good idea to make sure you are compliant before you head to the airport. From what I read on their website, it looks like you are OK with one carry on and one personal item. Like the other poster said, a more useful bag (rather than the duffel) is a better idea. Make that extra piece a small daypack or shoulder bag for your use while sightseeing, and to keep one hand free during your journey through the airport and train stations. You don't want to put that duffel down to grab your passport or ticket and forget it somewhere!

Posted by
2745 posts

You do not have to buy water after you get though security. Take an empty bottle through security, find a water fountain, fill it up! BINGO you just saved $3 (or more depending on your airport) and you were better for the environment then wasting another plastic bottle!

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Bill. I flew Continental last year, Newark to Hamburg, and brought a carry-on suitcase, a backpack, and a daybag. I stuffed the daybag into my backpack before I checked in in Newark and had no problem - it looked like I had only 2 bags. On the plane, I put my suitcase in the overhead bin and my backpack under the seat in front of me. Unless you have back problems, I would recommend a backpack instead of a duffel. (I use a school-type L.L. Bean one.) You can put everything in there that you might need for the plane and you don't have to worry about putting it down if you need a free hand.

Posted by
242 posts

Sarah and David: Which size LL Bean backpack? Thanks Bill

Posted by
805 posts

Wouldn't know what size, whatever works for you. I carry a special computer backpack since I travel with a small netbook (only weighs around 2 lbs).