Please sign in to post.

Flight Cost to Rome for Honeymmon June 2011

Hi, I'm new here and this a great place for information. I have been reading like crazy. We want to fly to Rome for our honeymoon next June. The flight costs are keeping me from being able to go. Is there a day of the week that is better to fly? TA told me no for International but I wonder? We are flexible and can leave anytime time after June 12. Any suggestions are grealy appreciated. (First time to Europe too) TIA

Posted by
77 posts

Maybe you can't move the wedding, but unless there are other considerations you might be able to move the honeymoon.

Posted by
3580 posts

Try different days of the week. Some days may be less expensive. June is peak season, so you may have to pay the high tab.... Or, you could move your wedding date to an off-peak month in order to find cheaper seats to Rome.....Seriously, try Kayak.com or another of the search places and see what you can come up with......Sometimes you can save $$ by taking a flight that has one or more connections.....Not my favorite way to fly, but you could try saving money that way.....

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Teresa. You could also consider moving your honeymoon up a few months. Unless you find a deal on a flight in June, the difference in cost between high-season and off-season travel is often hundreds of dollars. Kayak.com is the site I use too - it gathers flight information from many different carriers to find the lowest price.

Posted by
48 posts

Thanks for that insight. We can't move the honeymoon date :( I wish I could. I will keep looking and I will try kayak. Thanks

Posted by
263 posts

Why not fly somewhere else besides Rome? Are you already set on Rome as your destination? Are you planning to visit other places? Would it be worth it to you to fly somewhere like Paris instead, to save $1500 on the two plane tickets (combined savings)? I just checked BOS-ROM on Orbitz and the RT airfare was around $1500 (very high taxes and fees), whereas there were RT flights to Paris from Boston around $750. Also - if you are going in June, northern Europe will be a little cooler than southern Italy.

Posted by
2091 posts

Teresa, as Kari says, could you change the honeymoon dates? One of our sons and his bride took their honeymoon a month after the wedding and found it so relaxing. They were able to finish thank you cards, putting things away etc in that month and felt much more organized. Could you possibly take yours in September? In 2007 I found airfare much cheaper for departure on Saturday, the 15th than any other day in September OR October! I purchased the 3 tickets 10 months before our trip.

Posted by
48 posts

Marshal I never thought of that. I'll check into that for sure. Thanks. Moving the wedding date and honeymoon I can't do. It's all set, almost paid for and we have an 11 year old son who we have arranged care for from my daughter (who is a teacher) so this is the week she can do too. So you see I am stuck with June 2011. You guys are great here!

Posted by
362 posts

You may want to consider waiting for a "Spring sale" discount. It may be a bit too early to book. Over the years and watching these fares, there seems to be a special for this time offered around March, booking into June, I believe the cutoff was June 15th. Since you have not booked I would check every Tuesday for fares, keep a log and book when the fares hit. It may be cheaper for you to go direct from JFK or Boston, so check that out too. Also consider going through other locations in Italy, such as Milan, or maybe starting in Paris or Frankfort to Rome then Home. Sometimes the city you fly into has cheaper taxes and fees which can be a great savings and you get to see another city too. All you need is an overnight in the arrival city and sometimes a connection home through that city too. I look on expedia/travelocity/kemwel and then go to the airlines that is offering the cheapest fare to see if it is matches, then book directly with the airlines. Also, check out your same travel plan but do it for different days of the week. For example I know United, American & Alitalia only fly direct Chicago to Rome a few days a week during off peak, not sure if they add flights shoulder and peak season. I have been an independent traveler and have booked all my own flights and hotels, never use the Railpass, get point-to-point tickets, book special fares on bullet trains and saved myself alot of money. I do not speak any other language but I love European travel. Remember if you book your own tickets, you passport must match exactly with your airline tickets.