Please sign in to post.

flight cancelled

Did this every happen to you?? I booked a flight for a specific day because it was cheaper.. Sunday verses Saturday. I just got an email telling me my flight was cancelled for Sunday,putting me on the more expensive Saturday flight. When I called they said there was a mechanical issue. 6 MONTHS FROM NOW??!! The airline did reassure me they would give me the price for the cheaper flight. I used to think I would like to have to travel for my job but I don't think I could deal with the stress. This is also why I won't book my own flights if they involve more than 2 or more changes!!!!!

Posted by
7053 posts

Take a breather, call them back, and ask to be rebooked on the original day (Sunday) but at the second most convenient flight time available (I assume there's more than one flight a day, right?). Tell them you're not prepared to pay for an unplanned extra overnight hotel stay due to the flight change, and you'd like them to resolve the matter. I think you are way overstressed - there's an easy way to resolve this and it only involves a phone call.

By the way, when airlines change your flight involuntarily, they are not expecting you to pay the fare difference. But in your case, arriving on Saturday means an extra night of lodging, which is a real cost. Ask them if they're willing to pay for your hotel - otherwise, press them to give you another option for Sunday that works for you.

And, yes, flight cancellations and changes happen with some frequency. It's out of your control, so don't stress the small stuff. They typically work with you so you're happy. Just call them up.

Posted by
1624 posts

We had the opposite experience - paid more and were cancelled and put on the cheaper flight.

There are something like five flights a day on Air Canada from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale. We paid a premium to get the 11am flight - not too early, still early enough to enjoy the evening in Florida. When I went to book airport shuttle to T.O., I discovered they had cancelled our flight and put us on the later one. That flight was cheaper when did our bookings - if we wanted it we could have had it for less! There was no getting a refund for the difference.

To top it off, we had paid for seat selection and didn't get those seats. In the end no refund there either. We were close enough it wasn't really a problem for me but one friend has a health issue and requires aisle and they had put her in the middle. She had to push to get an appropriate aisle seat.

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes, when your flight is changed by the airline you do not have to pay more - they book you on what they consider a comparable flight at the same cost. But sometimes the new flight doesn't work for you and in my experience they will change it to another flight that works better. If your flight is direct US to Europe there may not be many choices on Sunday, but if you add a connection then I'm sure they can find something. For example, once I had Chicago - NY - Madrid, and then the Chicago - NY was moved too early for me to make it so I called and they changed me to Chicago - Philadelphia - Madrid with similar times.

In your case, perhaps they will pay for a hotel night if you need that. Or move you to a new Sunday flight. Or you could accept the change and enjoy an extra day of your trip with the same flight cost. However, the extra hotel night could be an issue depending on budget.

Posted by
2147 posts

Chriss,
Also, go on the airline's web site and take a look yourself. Is the ORIGINAL flight still available for that Sunday? If so, then you have even more bargaining power. (I actually had that happen to me...airline rep said flight was no longer available...I looked, it was. Short version: I wound up getting upgraded to Business Class with a better routing than the original flight).

But, yes, Agnes has given you good advice. If the original flight is no longer available, bargain for a credit or voucher for your extra expense with the overnight. If they only offer you $200 (and your actual costs will be $375), then push for what it will actually cost you, plus a meal or two. Do your homework. It takes time, lots of time, but sometimes you can wind up coming out better.

Good luck, and let us all know how it works out for you.

And, IF you want to book with a different airline (check to see if better routes are available), you should also be entitled to a full refund, so you can rebook with another carrier (assuming you are dealing us a US airline).

Posted by
7053 posts

I forgot to add that it really helps if you go online and look up your preferred alternative schedule. That way, you can just tell them that you'd like to change to flight "xyz" leaving at "so and so" and connecting at "so and so", etc. and ask them if it's possible to get switched to that flight instead. Have at least two alternatives already in mind, along with the flight numbers. This could totally work in your favor. I've had flights cancelled and was able to get a much better schedule than initially - that's not always the case, but you never know until you try.

I wouldn't get "stuck" on the prices either - there's no such thing as "cheaper flight" or "more expensive flight" - there's only "cheaper right now" or "more expensive right now". Prices are not fixed and will go up and down in a 6 month span. What is worth, say $350 one day, may be worth something else tomorrow.

Posted by
262 posts

It is not uncommon for an airline to make a change, especially when it's six months away. My international flight was recently cancelled to Philadelphia in April, likely due to the recent announcements they have made to discontinue certain international flights into this city. When I telephoned, they offered me a very early morning flight or a different day, which I declined. I was offered a one time full refund if I cancelled my flight, which I accepted even though I was disappointed. I rarely book out so far ahead for this reason, but I took a chance because of a low price business class fare. Travel is always somewhat unpredictable, and airlines can and do make changes. Most of the time, they do a pretty good job at finding an alternative that works.

Posted by
3522 posts

Happens all the time, especially when booking months in advance. And wow, I want that mechanic working for me if he can predict a mechanical issue six months in advance!

Once I had a nice trip booked back and forth to Scandinavia. Flight over went great. A few days before my flight back, I felt a great disturbance in the force and went to check my reservation. And there it was -- one segment was just missing! No call, email or anything from the airline. The flight was just not there. Called the airline (luckily they had a local number from the country I was calling) and asked. They told me "that flight gets cancelled all the time". Wonderful. But the flight was still being sold at that very moment. The airline said they could not put me on it and asked if I still needed to fly. Of course I did. Then they asked if I would be OK flying through Frankfurt and then non-stop from there to my home town. I said "Sure!" and the person on the phone said "Well, I can't book you on those flights." What? Why did you offer them then? I asked that someone who could book me could be found. The next person I talked to put me on a Flight from Frankfurt to Denver in 1st class. But still no flight to Frankfurt to catch the flight to Denver. Once again it was "Well, I can't book that flight." And all through it again to get the flight to Frankfurt. The actual flights went great and the new routing saved me one connection and get me home 8 hours earlier. It was very nice flying Lufthansa 1st class. I got treated as a rock star. But it cost me over 3 hours on the phone during my vacation to get what appeared to be a simple issue resolved.

The point I am making (in a round about way) is be persistent with the airline until you get something that fits your needs.

Posted by
2147 posts

Yep, until you get within that 60-day window, there is a good likelihood you will experience a schedule change. Even then, the 60-day window is no guarantee.

I always book two-leg journeys instead of 3-leg journeys (which are generally less expensive), then wham...right about the 60-90 day out time frame, I often get that dreaded email of: your routing has changed. As Agnes mentioned, that's the time to go on-line and pick out what else you might want. If the airline can't give you your requested re-route, stay on the phone as long as it takes (often at this point you'll be elevated to a supervisor) and don't hang up until you get something you can live with.

Not living in an airline hub city, the 2-leg journey can make all the difference in the world with leg-lag, both going and coming. And, I also like to select an plane that has two seats on the side (instead of three), if flying in coach, and I'll also do the upgrades to select seats and get an extra few inches of leg room. So, when a re-route messes all that up, yes, it is very, very frustrating..........but typical.

You are NOT alone. This is part of the dreaded part of travel. The pain is soon forgotten when you have joyous memories of your trip.

Posted by
16895 posts

Maybe scheduled maintenance means that fewer planes will be operating on that date. (Most of the time, I'd be happy to add a day to my trip, even when it means paying for a hotel.)

Posted by
311 posts

Thank you all for your replies! This is a direct flight to St Thomas, only on weekends I believe and only 1 flight a day. We have to arrive early after noon to make the ferry to Tortola. I was trying to save $$ when I chose the Sunday flight .I called and that's when I was told about the "mechanical" issue 6 months from now. They did put me on the same flight on the day before, Saturday. They also offered to "call the hotel" and see if they could change our reservations. Luckily we are staying with friends and could switch days. I just can't get past the feeling that "they" are trying to fill up Saturdays flight before opening Sunday's!!Paranoid?? =] And ,yes, I know airlines are not charities!! All is well but this is why I'm really happy with one flight to and from and being on a Rick Steve's trip. Usually no bad surprises!!!Keep on traveling with a smile pasted on your face!!

Posted by
311 posts

p.s. I don't post often, as you can see,but what does the OP after my name mean?? Odd person??!!Old person?! =O

Posted by
3522 posts

OP = Original Poster = The person that started this discussion thread.

Posted by
23574 posts

Chriss, I think you are a little paranoid. The world is not out to get you. Who is the airline? If it is a small airline with only a couple of planes, then it may mean that the plane has to be rotated out of the schedule for maintenance and they don't have a back up plane. So that is why they know so far in advance.

Posted by
311 posts

It was United and I booked with them. Thanks for filling me in about OP!!!!