Please sign in to post.

First time to Paris-airline preference?

We just signed up to go to France (will be my 1st time though hubby has been there ) in 2024. We have been long time customers of American and Delta. For this trip my husband would like to try Air France, (We are hoping to go Business class as we did so for RS Italy tour and London tour on BA. For 3 of the 4 legs on BA our seats /beds were not functional so staff had to help but otherwise a good experience on board). We are now looking for recommendations/ personal preferences for AF / AA /Delta - one over the other? Have you hade better experience in one of those airlines business class....over another? Thank you in advance for your input and recommendations!

Posted by
6897 posts

I cannot compare with Delta or AA, but with Air France business class there is some variation between aircraft models. If you have the choice, the best/newest seats are on A350 and refurbished 777-200s. This said, I don't think there are any 777-300s with angle-flat seats left on US routes at present, so even a non-refurbished plane should be "safe" in that regard.

Google Flights tells you which plane model is supposed to fly a given flight.

Posted by
1825 posts

I always prefer Delta over AA anytime I fly. I've never taken Air France unless it was a code share flight of a domestic airlines. Business class was so pricey this time, I'm trying Delta Premium Select tomorrow for my flight to Paris. The plane is an Airbus 330-900 neo. It's my first time on this configuration, but I generally prefer Airbus.

Posted by
19 posts

Being a native from MN also, Northwest/Delta is what I grew up on and never had a bad experience 🤗 Please report back if you can, on the Premium Select, we looked at that option as well. Thank you so much, have a great trip!

Posted by
1825 posts

Remember flying what was then NorthWorst? I laugh every time I think of those years. I have flown domestic Comfort Plus on Delta and it was very nice, so I am hopeful.

Posted by
8443 posts

kaymenmichelle, have you looked at the details of the Delta flights to see if any are actually code-shared with AF and are actually on AF equipment?

Posted by
4000 posts

Read reviews & watch video reviews from The Points Guy of business class in various airlines & aircraft. The video reviews are on YouTube. I find those reviews VERY helpful.

Posted by
8142 posts

American couldn't even board our plane in Frankfurt promptly and we all missed our connecting flight out of Dulles. And then all the seats into our home city were filled the next 2 days. We had to spend the night, fly to an alternative airport, rent a car and drive home 200 miles.

The Delta flights to and from Europe in comparison are so far superior in every way. And they fly full size airliners into our home city so there's a better chance they'd have room in case there were issues.

I'm a budget traveler, but lowest price is not always the best value. Out of here, we're only going Delta in the future.

Posted by
847 posts

I have had bad experiences with Air France for flights I booked through Delta, so I avoid Delta in general. I like American premium economy, and it is consistently less expensive than Delta, so another mark against Delta for me.

My preferred / closest international gateway airport for non-stops to Europe is DFW, an AA hub; if I lived somewhere else, I might find Delta preferable for convenience and pricing. The choice of airline depends on multiple factors, so take any airline recommendations with a grain of salt.

Posted by
19 posts

Oh dear, David, that sounds awful! We had issues with BA customer service, couldn't get them on the phone while in Rome, long story. Ended up on a last minute Dela flight .....thinking Delta maybe the way to go. I sure do appreciate your input!

Posted by
19 posts

Good point Jojo, we live in Phoenix so finding flights from here to Europe for a reasonable cost is very difficult. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Posted by
2267 posts

I’m an AA loyalist, but I’d consider AF if prices and schedules were competitive and they were flying equipment with updated cabins on the route.

Posted by
822 posts

I've flown AF 2x to CDG since 21, once out of YUL and the other out of JFK, was treated like royalty both times, and I was in economy. Next trip? AA out of JFK (because who could pass up $435 r/t in the main cabin), so we'll see.

I will say this. When it comes to delay compensation - INTO Europe their rules only apply to THEIR airlines (AF, KLM, Lufthansa, etc); although it does apply to all airlines OUT of Europe. So that's another reason I choose AF, because there would be compensation under EC261 if delayed from the US.... they also have a really sweet safety video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhA0aL105Nw)

Posted by
696 posts

No experience with Bus Class, but we have flown Delta, AF, and American to/from Europe. Our preferred airline is Delta (best customer service when things go wrong, best in-flight experience), but I would be fine flying AA if the connections/price were significantly better than Delta.

Our last two trips with AF were horrendous with respect to service/accommodations for my disabled son. They are on my "never again" list.

Posted by
23 posts

I did some flights search for PHX=>CDG (RT Bus) for April, May, Jun and the top airlines are between Delta and AA and in some instances, United. So, those are your choices for revenue tickets. Some routes have partner legs:

AA is partner w/British Airways & Iberia (OneWorld)
Delta is partner w/Virgin Atlantic, AF, & KLM (SkyTeam)
United w/SAS, Lufthansa, Air Canada (StarAlliance)

You got some pretty good ideas from this thread already. I am confident you will make a good decision!

FYI - google 'AA business class reviews'
google 'Delta business class reviews'
google 'Air France business class reviews'
I would also include United, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, KLM, Lufthansa, Air Canada (just for fun).

good luck & have fun!!

Posted by
226 posts

I am a Francophile and have flown on Air France or Delta. This year were flying on SAS via Copebgagen from SFO as flights are $758 vs $1300 and it includes luggage and they waived our seat assignments due to having low vision and my Parents need to be at the front.

We leave SFO at 8:20. PM arriving CDG the next evening at 7:20 with a 80 minute layover in CPH where we clear customs. On the way back after our Morocco trip and. 4 nights in Chantilly and a night at the Zenzitude Hotel we're staying at by CDG we leave at 11:00 AM via CPH with a 3 hour layover and arrive SFO at 6:20 PM

Overall very good times and the cost is reasonable.

Posted by
13937 posts

I've only flown Delta Premium Select once when it was offered as a fairly inexpensive upgrade from Comfort+. This was when it was new and I did not like it. The tray tables were in the seat arm so no way to lift up the arm to get out easily. I was in an aisle seat and several rows back. The guy in front of me reclined immediately on take off and never moved after that so as a larger person it was difficult to get out. I made sure to passive-aggressively pull on his seat back every time I stood up.

TBH, I've treated myself to Delta One the last few trips. It started out that I thought the fewer number of people in the cabin would be advantageous for decreasing exposure to any virus, then I realized what I really liked was that no one brushes by you as they board and you are in your own little pod. I felt less shop-worn on arrival! The service is excellent and makes me feel like somewhat of an imposter but oh well....!!!!