Please sign in to post.

Fiat 500L - have you driven?

Three of us are traveling to northern Italy during July. None of the persons are oversized - height or weight. The tallest being 6 ft tall. We will have minimal luggage for 3 people. Our longest travel days will be about 3.5 hours on the Autostrade. Otherwise just day trips - 30 to 60 minutes from our 3 bases.

Has anyone out there driven (rented or owned) a Fiat 500L - the largest of the Fiat 500 line? Think we are crazy for renting this small of a car? Reviews seem to say it's fairly roomy inside for a car in that class. I like the idea of having a smaller car for parking and maneuvering around small Italian towns/streets. But don't want to be sorry!

Posted by
691 posts

we had a fiat 500L size was not a problem at all for 3 adults, my son is 6ft tall as well.
My husband only complaint was it’s lack
of power.

Posted by
85 posts

Thanks for the replies. Martine.....maybe the lack of power will help stop me from speeding and landing a ticket in the mail! LOL

Posted by
181 posts

Hello,
We rented this style of vehicle a few years ago while driving around Tuscany. There were 4 of us (fit / average height) with 2 small suitcases. We were comfortable in the car. For the person who is 6ft, they could always ride in the passenger seat with it placed as far back as possible to maximize leg room, if needed.

Amanda

Posted by
424 posts

1200 miles in the 2 door last month...no complaints 2 passengers... 4 door should work fine for 3
Brad

Posted by
7330 posts

Haven’t driven personally, although there were sure a lot on the road last September/October, as we drove our (unrequested upgrade) rented Ford Puma. The 500L looked absolutely massive, compared to the base 500 car.

Posted by
15144 posts

The interior is roomier than you would think. I’ve driven a 500L more than once, with 3 adults plus luggage (and my wife’s and my sister in law’s luggage is never minimal). I think we were able to fit it all in the cargo area, although there is always the possibility of folding half of the back seat. If you get the one with the Diesel engine, it will have more torque, in case you plan to drive up the mountains. However there is really no guarantee you will actually get a 500L. The rental car could give you an “equivalent” type of car.

Posted by
1259 posts

Fiat has largely pulled out of the States but San Diego must have at least one 500L on a lot somewhere.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2 posts

We booked at Fiat 500 about 3 years back when we were going to a wedding in Como.

On arrival we got 'upgraded' to an Fiat Punto (now defunct) which was such a disappointment though I wasn't that surprised. I suggested that it was not an upgrade and they said it was because it had more doors than a 500! There was no point arguing however Fiat 500's were generally much more expensive to buy than Punto's so I doubt they ever had that many in stock. At the end of the day we were only using to transfer from airport to Lake Como (and back again) so very much first world problems not getting the cute car for a few instagram pictures...... It was an ugly white Fiat Punto and the only pics I can find on my phone are of the dents it had when we collected just in case they tried to charge us for them.

The greater fun was to be had hiring a mini speedboat for a few hours and whizzing around the lake.