Please sign in to post.

Ferry to Aran Islands

I'm planning a trip to Ireland this summer, and I want to include the Aran Islands in our itinerary. However, in reading about the ferry rides to the islands, it sounds like they are pretty rough affairs with reports of nearly broken bones, etc. Is there a ferry ride service to the islands that is a bit more user-friendly for 60 year-old bodies? Thanks.

Posted by
2822 posts

The ferry will only be a rough ride in rough weather, otherwise it's relatively smooth sailing. Therefore, just check the weather forecast a day or two in advance before committing to a specific date. That, and if you're worried about motion sickness try to sit in the middle of the boat ... any motion will be minimized there.
Summer weather tends to be pretty benign at any rate - you should be fine.

Posted by
408 posts

We were on it last week, and it was a fairly smooth ride; a bit rougher on the late afternoon return than on the morning go, but it was fine and I didn't observe anyone getting seasick.

Both were much smoother than the ferry from the Olympic Peninsula to Victoria Island, which has some pretty serious ground swells owing to its orientation relative to prevailing winds (if you've visited the Northwest).

I can't imagine anyone getting broken bones on the short trip to the Aran Islands unless they have weak bones (osteoporosis?) and decide to get into a fight with one of the beefy security guards on the ferry.

Posted by
62 posts

Hi Thomas - I took the ferry to the Aran Islands in October and my 60+ year old body did just fine. I used a patch and arrived with my breakfast intact and no broken bones. I can't imagine the ferry running in weather that would throw the passengers all over the boat.
If you're worried about getting seasick, use whatever method you prefer, but don't let a few "horror stories" keep you from visiting this special place.