Please sign in to post.

fear of flying

Does anyone know of a fear of flying course that includes having the participants actually board an airplane that remains on the ground while the participants sit inside the plane. thank you

Posted by
4879 posts

It might help if we knew what part of which country you lived in.

Posted by
15063 posts

Prior to the pandemic, the major airlines used to offer a course like this. Taught by both a psychologist and a pilot. Graduation was not getting on a plane and staying on the ground. Graduation was actually taking a flight.

Posted by
267 posts

I used to be a very nervous flyer. What helped me a lot was taking maps and keeping track of where we were. Mine turned out to be more of a case of not being in control. Tracking our flight gave me some sense of control. Also my doctor gave me very mild tranquilizer which just took the edge off my fear. Good luck!

Posted by
904 posts

My former neighbor, upon seeing my husband at the apex of our pitched roof, told me that he couldn't look. He was a captain for a major airlines. I asked him how on earth he could ever fly and he told me that he just told himself that there was a floor.

Posted by
904 posts

It sounds as though you are looking for a desensitization technique which is a good start. If your fear is one of claustrophobia, this might work well. If it is of heights/fear of crashing, you might start with sitting in a plane, taking a short flight and then flying more often. You would need to learn some negative-thought stopping, positive affirmations and anxiety-reducing techniques. I'll look to see if I can find what you're looking for or a form of simulation. Where would you want this? What area?