Please sign in to post.

Eurostar

We are planning to take the Eurostar from London to Paris. I would like to know if it is worth the extra expense between the Standard Class and First Class.

Posted by
33553 posts

There are not 2 levels of service on Eurostars between Europe and England. There are three, Standard, Standard Premier which adds a small cold meal, 3 across seating and newspapers and magazines, roughly equivalent to first class light ; and Business Premier which is an all singing all dancing super deluxe First class for huge money. I used to go First when there was one. When they degraded the old First to Standard Premier and made the food like cheap airline food but small and cold my wife and I decided we could slum it for 2 hours. We don't run in the circles of those who go hi-test even if they get waited on hand and foot with hot food too. That's just me though. Go to their website and read about the different levels and pick the one you like and fits your budget.

Posted by
8293 posts

Chantal, the journey is about 2 hours & 30 minutes. Standard class is perfectly fine. Spend the money you save on a really wonderful dinner in Paris.

Posted by
5797 posts

In my opinion it is NOT worth it. Years ago, a company I was working for bought me a Eurostar ticket in first class. It was a slightly larger seat, a meal that was just slightly better than an airplane meal, and complimentary drinks. That was the first and last time that I travelled on Eurostar first class. And this was a supposedly better class than what they offer today. I've taken 20+ trips in standard class and been perfectly happy. The trip is 2.5 hours, standard class is very comfortable, and you can buy far better food from the M&S Simply Food in St Pancras for a fraction of the money you will save. I agree with Norma ... take your savings and get a great meal with a great wine in Paris.

Posted by
11507 posts

Chantal,, i have only taken the Eurostar 4 times, always in standard, I frankly could not imagine wasting money on a meal on a tray when the whole trip is all of 2.5 hours. I pack a lunch and off I go( as do most ) . The seats are comfy, you have a table tray , and enough leg room,, you can get up and wander to the food car and waste alot of money on a bagged sandwich or bag of chips,,but as I said, most who have been on the train know to pick up a snack at the station or grocers on the way to the station. You will not find standard "slummy" at all, much comfier then a bus, and as I said, its just 2.5 hours. Save your money for beer, wine or cheese in which ever destination you end up at ! lol