Please sign in to post.

Eurorail

My family and I are planning a trip to Italy and would like to buy Eurorail passes. The problem is that even though my husband and children are American, I am Italian and therefore cannot purchase a Eurail Pass. How can I get around this so that I can travel with my family?

Posted by
4412 posts

This is from this website: "Most rail passes sold in the U.S. cannot be used by residents of Europe. You are not a resident of Europe if you live on an American military base or have only a temporary student visa for Europe. You must provide proof of at least 6 months residence outside Europe (and outside the Russian Federation or Turkey) when validating most rail passes. A passport or green card is the usual proof. These rail passes require only proof of residence outside the countries covered: Balkan, BritRail, European East, and Swiss passes." Are you not included in one of these categories? Besides, it's highly likely that you don't want rail passes. Where exactly are you planning to take the trains to/from, when, and how many children and their ages?

Posted by
23572 posts

Unless you have done your homework and have determined that a rail pass will money, most likely in Italy a rail will not since you have pay supplemental fees to use the pass on all trains except the regional trains. Are you using an Italian passport?

Posted by
11294 posts

Before anyone in your family buys a railpass, read the Man In Seat 61's discussion of whether you should: http://tinyurl.com/bkw4u6c. Particularly for Italy, they almost never pay off, even if you are buying full fare tickets. If you can get advance purchase discount tickets, that's MUCH cheaper than a pass.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for all the information. Based on your responses, I am going to do more research to determine whether we even want Eurail Passes.