Please sign in to post.

Eurorail

What is the best way to get from Rothenburg to Paris by Eurorail?

Posted by
19109 posts

First, Eurail does not run trains in Europe; they sell railpasses to people residing outside of Europe. German Rail and French Rail run the trains. A railpass would not be the best choise for a single trip, Rothenburg to Paris. You can get discounted point-to-point tickets online from either railroad's website, although in this case, German Rail's website would be best. Go to the German Rail (Bahn) website and look up "Rothenburg ob der Tauber Bahnhof" to "Paris". You'll find connections using buses or regional trains from Rothenburg to stations with express train access. Advance purchase fares will start around €39 and will be available as early as 92 days in advance. A lot of the connections will start with a bus. If you don't want that, go to Means of transport (you may have to pick "change other data" to see it) and uncheck the sixth box (just before the boat symbol). That will get you an all-rail connection.

Posted by
9 posts

I am sorry I was not to clear we are using a train pass to travel Europe for a month. I was looking at after the Rhine going to Rothenburg before going to Pairs and wondering how to to do train conecctions. cheers
Vivian

Posted by
19109 posts

Whether or not you are using a railpass, the Bahn website will give you the schedules. If you are using a railpass, you definitely don't want a connection using a bus since buses are not covered. I see an all rail connection at 9:06 using regional trains from Rothenburg to Ansbach (change in Steinach), an IC to Stuttgart, and the TGV from Stuttgart to Paris. All trains will be covered with the railpass, but there will be an extra charge for the compulsory reservation on the TGV

Posted by
32219 posts

Vivian, One important point to note is that Railpasses DO NOT include the reservation fees that are compulsory on the "premium" trains such as the TGV. You'll have to pay those separately. The specifics of the trip from Rothenburg to Paris will depend on which train you choose. The bahn.de website that Lee mentioned will provide the information you need. The shortest trip I could find (using an arbitrary date) departs Rothenburg at 09:08, arriving Paris Est at 16:35 (time 7H:27M, 3 changes in Schrozburg, Crailsheim and Stuttgart, with the first leg by Bus - the last two legs have compulsory reservations). Your trip will be via Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) as far as Stuttgart, and from there to Paris will be via SNCF (French Rail) on the TGV (which travels at up to 300 kmH). Happy travels!

Posted by
3049 posts

Also reservations for railpass holders on the TGV tend to sell out in advance, so I would not wait until you're connecting in Stuttgart to get the reservation, you may be out of luck. You can buy these reservations at any Deutchebahn "Kunden-Zentrum" (customer service center) at any large train station in Germany (I don't believe the station in Rothenburg has one). I would purchase them before you leave home via phone or when you first get to Germany. And if you are taking a TGV anywhere else in France, go ahead and buy them then as well.