Please sign in to post.

Eurorail

I will take a train from Milan, Italy to Villefranche-sur-Mer, Cote D'azur, France (but not to Nice). What is the easiest way? Do I buy ticket through Trenitalia or the French TGV or SNCF? Do I need to transfer from an Italian train to a French one? Thanks

Posted by
32325 posts

Roland, Travel from Milan to Villefranche-sur-Mer is an easy trip. The travel time will depend on which train you choose, but the shortest trip is 4H:53M, with one change (transfer) at Ventimiglia (border crossing point in Italy). I'd suggest buying your ticket at Milano Centrale, perhaps a day or two before you'll be travelling. The ticket office is two floors below track level (reachable via "moving sidewalks"). There are also automated ticket Kiosks both at track level and adjacent to the ticket office. Note that reservations are compulsory for the first leg of the trip from Milan to Ventimiglia. Those will be included in the cost of the P-P ticket. This is a brief description of the station in Ventimiglia. Happy travels!

Posted by
10 posts

Ken: Thank you for your help. I checked the Eurorail website. There are a number of departure times. However I do have a bit of concern about the transfer time of only 10 minutes in Ventimiglia. Being a first time travelers in that station, I have concern about finding the right train to Villefranche. I hope it works out. Thanks again for the info. Roland

Posted by
33520 posts

Roland If you miss your connection in Ventimiglia just chill out and have a snack in the quite pleasant station restaurant/bar. They even have an Italian version of socca. Not as good, but passable. While chilling out work out the next westbound local. They are frequent, unless you are there in the middle of the night. They are mostly double deckers. Sit upstairs on the left side in the direction of travel. The Med is beautiful and you will see plenty of it between the tunnels. The locals along the coast neither offer nor accept reservations, so no sweat. There are occasional trains which don't call at Villefranche so check. Enjoy. PS. There are no eurorail trains. Use the website at the bahn for details and accurate information. If you are using Rail Europe for your information it may be, how shall I put it, sketchy. Use the bahn for comprehensive results. There may be a website calling itself eurorail but it won;t be official.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you, Nigel
I have taken Trenitlia from Savona to Verona to Venice, very nice experience. We also have taken the train to Monte Carlo from Villefranche. I figure there are a lot of trains from Ventimiglia to Villefranche. I do member taking the wrong train in Nice-ville station because there were so many of them going every which way. Thanks for your kind advice. Roland