Please sign in to post.

European Passenger Rights - 250 Euro for cancelled flights

Has anyone heard about a European passenger's rights regulation that requires to airline to pay 250 Euro to each passenger (plus accomodations, etc.) for a canceled flight? I recently returned from Italy, and my flight from Pisa to Rome was canceled, causing me to miss my Rome to Chicago flight.

http://www.1world2travel.com/article.php?articleID=1047

Has anyone had any luck filing claims and actually getting reimbursement?

The airline did provide us a room for the evening, but didn't mention anything else.

Posted by
23282 posts

I think the time to file the claim, if that is the proper phrase, is when the flight was canceled. In the US when that happens vouchers are given on the spot. Which airline are you dealing with?

Posted by
19099 posts

What were you thinking?

One train from Pisa to Rome takes 2½ hours and cost €37; another takes 3 hours and costs €32. It takes another half hour by train to FCO.

The flight is an hour, and you should be at the Pisa airport an hour early and you have time to get to the airport. You couldn't have saved much time and you almost certainly spent more.

Even in Italy, the trains have to be more reliable than the planes.

Posted by
19099 posts

Hmm. You were quick enough to respond negatively to my suggestions, but you still haven't answered Frank's simple question, posed 5½ hours earlier, which would have required only a word or two -- WHICH AIRLINE? What don't you want us to know?

From your latest post I have to think that you were on a single ticket from Pisa to Chicago via Rome, and that the Pisa to Rome flight was cancelled, but they put you on a later flight, which caused you to miss the Rome to Chicago flight. However, the airline also put you on the Rome to Chicago flight the next day (you didn't mention that) as well as payed for your room that night in Rome (Did they also include some meal vouchers? It doesn't seem you are telling us everything). It seems to me that without meal vouchers you still got an extra day in Rome, at least partially paid and still got back to the U.S. without any additional expenses. Why do you think you should get €250 as well?

I think most people on this site would love to have the airline extend their vacation a day and pay for just the room.

Posted by
120 posts

Lee, before making premature judgements, you should have considered the possibility that the flight deal I got from Chicago to Pisa was nearly $200 cheaper than Chicago to Rome.

Did you have anything constructive or positive to add to my question?

Posted by
15067 posts

First, what was the reason for the cancellation? If it was outside the airlines scope (weather, strike, security alerts) then you get zippo.

The airline should have provided a room, meal vouchers and paid for either email or calls home if you needed to alert someone of the change.

But there's more red tape....what airline were you flying and did you originate on that airline from the U.S.

If the airline can prove you bought a "package deal" that originated outside the EU, they are exempt.

If you pass all of the above, here's the officeal European Union's website for Passenger's Rights.

European Passengers Rights