Please sign in to post.

Europe Trip Ideas - August 2013

Hello! I'm planning to go to Frankfurt for a friend's wedding in August. The wedding is on a Saturday. So my husband and I are planning to come to Europe a week before the wedding or stay a week after the wedding to visit places in Europe. The must to-do places for us are: Frankfurt(for the wedding), Amsterdam and Berlin (my husband's pick). I would wish to add one more place to the list – may be Paris. Could you suggest the order in which we should visit these places and details about the transportation? And also do you suggest any other great places to go to if not to Paris? Thank you.

Posted by
4132 posts

All of those places are about 4 hours from Frankfurt by rail. Paris is about 4 hours from Amsterdam by rail. So draw a triangle, which is Ams Par Frank. Add a tail from Frank to Berlin. Connect the dots. Frankfurt is the only place you should not plan to fly in or out of. With just a week, I'd only add two destinations to Frankfurt though. Can you take more time off?

Posted by
2 posts

Not really. But at the least I could take a day or 2 more. The only option for us to fly out is either from Portland or Seattle. Unfortunately, looks like we need to fly into Frankfurt and fly out of Amsterdam or vice versa if possible. Do you know of any other places to go nearby if not for Paris? Thanks for your reply.

Posted by
8141 posts

Out of Portland, you're limited to a Delta flight to Amsterdam. Seattle also has flights to Amsterdam, but you can also fly there to Frankfurt or London. Have you considered flying from Portland to Amsterdam and transfer to a flight to Berlin? (Easyjet also has inexpensive flights from Schipol.) After Berlin, take a train to Frankfort for your wedding. You could then visit either Munich or Paris by train. From either city, you could take a budget air flight back to Amsterdam and spend a few days. Then you could fly back into Portland.

Posted by
4132 posts

If you don't mind saving Berlin for another trip you could go Frank > Par > A'dam and have a really nice time. (Or the other way around.) But why "need" you fly into or out of Frankfurt? Why not fly into Berlin (if that's the priority) and go from there to Frankfurt and then Amsterdam and home? Otherwise you are going to spend a day doubling back from Berlin.