Please sign in to post.

europe by car

Is it possible to buy a car there and drive and drive around, and sell the car back or bring back to US?,
can i drive over swiss alps through ski resortfrom geneva to zurick?
any other unseen problem?

Posted by
3262 posts

Hi Sam,

You may find some useful info on car leasing in this article (towards the bottom.)

Driving in Europe

Posted by
10555 posts

You can also buy cars from certain manufacturers on a European Delivery plan. Then you pick up the car (new of course) at the factory, drive it around Europe, then they ship it back to the U.S. for you. BMW, Mercedes and Volvo have a plan like this (or they used to anyway), and other European car companies may do the same. The actual purchase takes place here, before you go.

I did a lease through Auto Europe. You must have the car a minimum of 17 days, but the cost (paid in dollars) includes the lease, taxes, insurance, etc. There are no hidden costs and it is a great way to get a car if you need it longer. It is less than a rental for the same period of time.

With either method you shouldn't have any problems driving in Western Europe. There might be some restrictions on certain Eastern European countries.

Posted by
182 posts

Hi Sam

I'm about to embark on a trip in the line of what Andrea spoke of. I wanted to do something like you are thinking but decided rather than buy the car and try to sell it before returning home, I decided "why not bring it home". As Andrea mentioned, BMW still does have a European Delivery Program (can't tell you if others do).

I will be driving through Germany and Austria with a potential drive through Czechoslovakia (just to say we were there). I've been planning and researching this for 9 months and can give a fair amount of info if you are interested, but just wanted to confirm what Andrea mentioned and let you know it is possible.