Please sign in to post.

Europass

Eurorail shows senior prices for a pass, but your store does not. I have checked and find that on-line pass for 4 days is $189 plus $55 for 4 AV reservations. Point to point is $340...about $100 more. Yet you indicate that this is generally better. Is my math wrong.

Posted by
6942 posts

No one can help because your information is totally incomplete, George. 1.) Senior price from what company for what kind of pass (selectpass?) for which country/countries? 2.) Point to point between what cities? 3.) What website did you use to check your p-2-p prices?

Posted by
19240 posts

According to EURAIL, the company that issues and distributes Eurail passes, http://www.eurail.com, the only countries that have senior passes are Ireland and Romania. BritRail passes, which are not issued by Eurail, might also have Sr. passes. $55 for 4 reservations sounds suspiciously like RailEurope. You can't go by their p-2-p ticket prices. Those are not the prices you would pay at the counter in Europe. They mark them up, sometimes considerably. AV reservations sound like Italian Rail (Trenitalia). Look up the lower, counter prices of the P-2-P tickets on the Trentialia website.

Posted by
17244 posts

"Eurorail shows senior prices for a pass, but your store does not." If you have questions about the railpasses sold on the Rick Steves website, you should contact the store in Edmonds by phone. the people on this board are volunteers and travelers, and have no oficial connection with the store. There is a company called Euro Railways, which lures people to their website with promises of senior passes (found through Google.) But if you look at the chart, there are very few such passes available, as noted above-Ireland, Romania, Norway, Sweden, BritRail. and the "senior" passes they do have are generally more expensive than the 2d class saver pass. PTP ticket prices listed on the Euro Railways website are outrageous. I checked Barcelona to Madrid, as I am familiar with that one right now. They wanted $192 for a 2d class ticket bought 62 days in advance, plus $18 handling fee and another charge that brought the total up to $243. Price for the same ticket on the RENFE website, bought 62 days in advance to get the web fare, is 47,20 euro. Even the full fare, with no discount at all, is 117 euro, and there is no handling fee. It sounds from your mention of AV trains that your may be traveling in Italy? But unless you explain where you are going (what country and what cities) and where you saw those prices (and that senior pass for $189), no one can help you sort it out.