Please sign in to post.

europass

I have been traveling throughout Europe for almost 2 months with my europass and i have loved it every time I have used it. I used the rail planner app and while I have made a few reservations where necessary most of the time I just hopped aboard. The first class sats and added benefits were worth every penny. I purchased it in Paris and used it in 9 countries, some long trips some local lines. During my trip I decided to save some time and took 2 flights both made me long for the train. I used Air bnb for all but 4 nights and was happy with all. As a single disabled woman on her first trip to Europe I have to say I have felt safe, happy throughout my journey. I have used it 18 days so far and paid under 1400 E so if I do the math and add in comfort it was a win for me.

Posted by
100 posts

Yes, please explain. Which Europass and how much did you pay for it? From what I understand, the Europass purchased in Europe is about 20 percent higher in cost. Which country is your birth country?

Posted by
19092 posts

Frank, Europass is what some people, who don't pay attention, call the Eurail pass.

Posted by
8375 posts

Delighted to hear that you have had such a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing on the forum.

Posted by
16893 posts

Also my thanks for sharing your experience. The faster trains to/from/within France are usually the most important to reserve ahead. In some other countries, a rail pass provides more hop-on convenience. Using a rail pass successfully has a lot in common with using a train ticket successfully - you check schedules and follow the rules of each railway company.

Posted by
553 posts

My understanding from RS in virtually all of his forms of communication on the subject is that a EuRAIL pass can not be purchased in Europe and must be bought before leaving the US. The OP commented that they bought their Europass in Paris which leads me to believe it is different than the Eurail pass commented on above. Can "sisensteincarolyn" please comment on that. I've been there four times with others, but I'm about to embark on my first three week solo trip to Europe and figuring out how to best get around is one of the planning problems I'm having. Thanks.

Posted by
4 posts

Hello everyone, I will try and answer all your comments. I am American citizen born in New York state. I purchased the 2 month Europeans for I think 1300 euros. I am still traveling and don't have my receipts with me. I could be wrong.

Posted by
4 posts

My pass is EURAIL GLOBAL PASS...continuous,2 months paid 1497 euros. I have traveled as of today 19 different destinations. I paid additional when I made a reservation fee 10 euros and a few extra for high speed only in Spain. Spain, Italy require reservations. Also its not valid in a few countries. I started in UK that is why I bought in France. I traveled to France, Belgium, Amsterdam, Italy, Greece, Spain, Austria, Czech rep.
Any more questions please ask.
I feel very happy and am really enjoying it.
Happy travels

Posted by
20085 posts

Yes, they cost US$1657 here (equivalent to EUR1275) . You probably have to pay GST when you buy in Europe.

Posted by
19092 posts

"My understanding from RS in virtually all of his forms of communication on the subject is that a EuRAIL pass can not be purchased in Europe and must be bought before leaving the US. "

Here is what Eurail says about that, "It is possible to buy certain Eurail passes at train stations in Europe."

That page has a link to a list of Eurail passes that can be bought in Europe. The Global pass is one of them.

Despite the assertion of the OP, most travelers will save money with a combination of advance purchase tickets and local passes. 1400€ over 60 days is 23€/day. I've averaged 14€-15€ per day for the last 7 - 10 years using advance purchase tickets and local passes.

Posted by
8375 posts

The original posting was about a feeling of satisfaction in the value received in using the pass. Value can be about more than a direct cost comparison. Value can also include intangibles such as flexibility and comfort.

The beauty of so many options for transportation is that each traveler can find the option that suits his/her needs and travel style. When a traveler can look back at a major travel choice and feel that he/she received good value, that is successful planning.

Posted by
32746 posts

Thumbs up to Carol.

Even though I have not used a Eurail type pass for many years, and I won't, I agree that feeling good about your decision, as Carolyn has done, is very important.

Coming away from the vacation feeling positive about the decisions and positive about the experiences is invaluable. It means that she will be back.