Please sign in to post.

Eurail passes?

So I've read the pages that Rick has posted on Eurail passes but theres one thing I'm trying to figure out. The Eurail Select Pass doesnt cover the UK. However I'm starting out in London. So to get from London to AMSTERDAM (and then on to other countries in Europe covered by Eurail) do I need to buy a seperate ticket from Britrail? Or does the Eurail apply in the UK only if youre leaving it? Do I need to make my way down to the border first?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
19240 posts

You get a discount on EuroStar with a Eurail pass that is already validated. That is, for a select pass, the 2 month period has to start when you buy the EuroStar ticket. I understand that there is a place to validate the Eurail pass in London, maybe where you buy the EuroStar tickets (?).

Posted by
8700 posts

The passholder fare on the Eurostar is 57 GBP. If you book well in advance (up to 120 days allowed) at www.eurostar.com, you can get a single (one-way) ticket for as little as 39 GBP.

After you arrive in Brussels on the Eurostar, you will have two choices for getting from there to Amsterdam. 1. Buy a passholder fare ticket on a high-speed Thalys train for around 30 EUR. Those tickets are limited so you might not get to take the train you want. 2. Jump on any IC train and simply show your pass (no fee).