I posted in June when Eurail updated its "Rail Planner" app to support a mobile one-country pass. (Italy was the initial country.)
Today's app update introduces a mobile multi-country pass!
From the FAQ on Eurail's Web site, it seems that:
- You buy the mobile Global Pass through normal channels and add it to the app
- Instead of writing in a travel diary, you must select train trips using the schedule provided in the app (manual entry is available for trips not in Eurail's schedule)
- You don't need Internet access to present the pass on your phone (but you do need to go online at least every three days for validation purposes)
- The mobile pass is tied to a single, specific cell phone (storing the pass and its data in an Apple iCloud account or a Google Account would have made matters easier in case of loss or theft of the phone, which is a risk)
- As always, the pass is tied to your passport
Even though those of us residing in the US won't have the opportunity to try the new mobile Global Eurail Pass right away, it seems that the Interrail variant for residents of European countries is also available in mobile form. If you use it, please share your experiences! I'm particularly curious whether train conductors will be familiar with it, or whether explaining it will be a hassle.