Please sign in to post.

Eurail pass

I am planning to buy a Eurail pass for 3 countries-germany,swiss and italy. My queston is that will the pass work if I travel from interlaken to zurich or Rome to Venice.
If yes,Do I have to count teh days for these too ?

Posted by
19240 posts

The pass is valid for most trains in the countries (eg, Interlakan to Zurich) as well as between them (eg, Zurich to Munich). (A few private train lines might not be covered.) If you want to ride a train, and not buy a ticket for it, you use the pass and that day counts as a pass day. Assuming it's a flexi-type pass, you put the date in on the next available date lines. Warning, the Europeans make a 1 like a droopy 7, and put a bar across the 7. If you use the pass on the 7th, and the 7 looks like a 1, the conductor could claim you used the pass on the 1st and you'll lose a day.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you very much.
This will help me in counting the no. of days I would require to buy Eurail pass.

Posted by
19240 posts

Note: I'm not sure about Switzerland, but in Italy distances are short and point-point tickets are often less than a railpass day. In German, there are highly discounted advance purchase tickets that you can get online from the Bahn starting at €29 from any station in Germany to any other station, and Länder-Tickets, all day passes for regional trains within an individual state, go for around €30. What I am saying is that the most economical number of days on the rail pass might be zero.