Please sign in to post.

Eurail Pass and Reservations

My wife and I are planning to use a Eurail Select passes for the majority of our train travel in Europe. As I understand it, once our passes are validated we can just hop on any train that doesn't require reservations. My question is about four trips we are taking that require reservations:

1) TGV from Lausanne to Paris
2) ICE from Paris to Saarbrücken
3) Sleeper from Munich to Venice
4) Eurostar from Venice to Milan

If we purchase reservations in advance for these four trains, is there anything we have to do upon arrival to the station? Other than allowing time to find the correct platform/train, is there any reason to show up early?

Posted by
23562 posts

Define early. The track information is rarely posted more than 30 minutes in advance and many times it is in the range of ten to fifteen minutes so even if you are earlier there isn't much you can do.

Posted by
19238 posts

"track information is rarely posted more than 30 minutes in advance"

That's only in Italy, Frank, where trains don't run on time, so they never know when the train is going to arrive and what track will be free at the time.

In Germany, the track numbers are posted up to six months in advance and I have never seen them deviate.

If the schedule says the train to Venice leaves Munich on track 12, you had better believe that that is where is will be.

Posted by
6898 posts

If you promise that those are the only premium trains that you will ride, you should be fine. Your reservations should include seat reservations. However, if you decide to ride another Eurostar in Italy, you will have to stand in line to pay the seat reservation fee of up to $28 for the nicest Eurostar Alta Velocita. You won't be able to just hop on. But, I'm betting you already know this.