Please sign in to post.

EURAIL PASS

When I buy say Austria Czech EUrail pass does it means that I can use this railpass hopping on any train from Vienna airport to Salzburg to Prague to.. on any train ICE, EC, IC within the days limited? Thanks ...Andy.

Posted by
19242 posts

As long as the train is carrying passengers between stops in Austria or the Czech Republic. I think some of the routes between Salzburg and Prague go through Germany, with stops in Germany. Those trains would not be covered by a pass that did not include Germany.

Posted by
213 posts

It's easy to avoid Germany. Take a train that goes via Linz, Austria, to Prague. That may be the main route between Salzburg and Prague anyway. Otherwise, as I recall, you'd go via Munich, which is out of the way.

Posted by
19242 posts

If you want to avoid Germany, you have to be careful and your options are limited.

The fastest route from Salzburg to Prague does go through Linz. It is a direct EC; there is only one such connection per day, leaving Salzburg at 14:22, arriving Prague at 20:41. Unless you want to go the long way around, via Vienna (or go by bus), there are only seven other connections leaving Salzburg after 5 AM and getting into Prague before the next morning. They all go through Germany. Only three go through Munich.

Posted by
26 posts

Yes, as long as your train doesn't enter Germany. You can even use the railpass on a night train (from Prague to Vienna or the reverse)