Please sign in to post.

eurail pass:

Why are we not told about regional trains? I have never been so upset or felt so ripped off in my life. First, because I am over 26, I had to by a first class pass (10 days 4 countries over 2 months 700$) I also paid in total about 200$ more for supplements and only used 4 off the 10 days because France was on strike. I ended up having to take a train to the last stop in France (Handaye) then walk to Irun to finally get out of the country! I read Rick Steves, Rough guides, Lonely planet and No one has said that You can take a regional train that will stop in more towns but will be a third of the cost. Why? It took me weeks of researching to decide on a pass that in the end still royally screwed me. I'm just saying according to the train travel map included in the travel tips it cost about 50$ to travel from Naples to Rome but on the regional train 10 euro. theses are thing that are nice to know. Sorry I have to get this off my chest. EURAIL SUCKS!!!

Posted by
403 posts

Well, yes, Eurailpass has not been a good deal for all travelers in years, perhaps since the arrival of the Internet. What I don't understand is that you clearly know about this web site, you say you read Rick's book, and you spent weeks researching trains before buying the eurailpass. The question of pass versus point to point tickets comes up all the time on this site, and a few minutes research would have showed you that point to point tickets might well be a better value. As you discovered, passes do not cover all high speed trains without supplements, reservations are often required at extra cost, you have to travel first class rather than the perfectly acceptable 2nd class, some trains limit the number of passholder seats, etc etc. You could have traveled on the elite high speed trains as well as on the regional trains you mention simply by purchasing tickets in advance (and how to do this is covered thoroughly in previous Helpline discussions as well as in Rick's book and on the Graffiti Wall section).
I think some of your frustration is due to the inconvenience caused by the strikes, but that is the sort of thing that can hit any vacation...it is unpleasant, but sometimes things like this happen. I hope that apart from the travel mess you enjoyed the sights, food, and wine of a wonderful country and that you will have good memories as the irritation fades.

Posted by
19100 posts

OK, I'm not so inclined to blame Eurail as I am the people who resell the Eurail passes and don't fully inform their customers as to the limitations and disadvantages. Eurail is just a consortium of European national railroads, amongst many, that packages and markets rail passes. It's their product; you can buy it on not. It's unfortunate that no one fully informs potential buyers of the disadvantages. It has been fully discussed ad infinitum on this website, but usually the first time someone comes here with questions, they've already bought a pass. No, Eurail does not suck. In rare cases it can actually be used to advantage, but IMO, not often.

Posted by
23297 posts

If you had spent any time on this site reviewing rail discussion you would have seen enormous amount of information on ICs (Intercity) Regional and local trains. Strong recommendations that second class is fine for most people. Any question about rail passes always includes comments about doing your homework and pricing each leg before deciding that a pass is appropriate. Constant warnings about the surcharges for the high speed trains. The information is there. You either didn't find it, didn't read it, or didn't understand it.

Posted by
6 posts

Ok Ok. I'm sorry Wasn't trying to bash RS or anything we can stop with the public stoning. To all: Yes I did thoroughly research the site; I did know there would be supplements involved according to the book and site 5 to 35 euro. I was charged 56 euro and change for a reservation from Amsterdam to Brussels and no train was available to take me to Paris . I rode the regionals to Lille where TGV informed me that the tickets systems were down and to talk to the conductor for a ticket. We all rode cramped like sardines in the hallway to Paris from Lille. (Not complaining I got to know some people very well). Yes I did know to do calculations and that passes aren't for everyone but THE ONLY time I hear regionals mentioned on this site is to say that there is no reservation required for them. What I am trying to say is that it would be nice to know the a rough pricing for regional trains much like is done for the intercity high speed trains listed on the time and cost chart. Had I known; I certainly would have come to the conclusion that regional trains would be the way for me and saved myself a nice chunk. No I did not book too far ahead but I saw others who didn't get a ticket while I sat on a train car that was empty but for two other people because all of the Eurail reserved spots on that train were taken. Yes I do know that currency fluctuates and SHIT HAPPENS. I am aware that countries go on strike. Except for missing Barcelona and Seville and My trip was Amazing. But I did do the research I promise I did that.

Posted by
6 posts

I want to believe you but I can't. Especially since you said that you were stoned in public! Strikes are a way of life in Europe and your research would have told you that if you really did the work. We use Eurail every trip and have never had a problem. What does that tell you?

Posted by
19100 posts

"much like is done for the intercity high speed trains listed on the time and cost chart." If you are talking about the time and cost chart on this website, it is not very accurate. It might (?) be a good estimate of the highest cost between points, but it doesn't take into account less expensive trains or advance purchase discounts for express trains or Länder-Tickets for regional trains. Anyway, the cost shown is in USD, whereas the actual price is in Euro. USD/Euro changes every day. The map shows Frankfurt-Munich, $115. Today's standard price, with exch rate, is $125 by ICE (3 hrs), $100 by non-ICE express train (4 hrs). Regional trains (5½-6 hrs) start at $72. If you purchase long enough in advance, you can take an express train for $40. I think regional trains in Germany are priced in distance ranges, like 0-20 km, or 40-60 km, so if you are near one end of range it might be more or less, but, on average, full fare regional tickets are about €0,17/km/pers. That, of course, doesn't include Länder-Tickets

Posted by
6 posts

"Especially since you said you were stoned in public " Do you think I was talking about pot or Hebrew punishment? I was talking about the latter. I am not upset about the strike but at the fact though the regional is mentioned as not requiring a reservation and supplement but nothing more. Overall it was not beneficial to me. At the price listed on the time chart it was. But now that I know I could take regional trains really cheap in Italy without using a precious day of travel for the two hour trip to Rome from Naples and the train from there to Florence. I could have left Italy off my select pass all together if I knew that these were half the cost or close to.

Posted by
32216 posts

Jonna, I don't doubt that you researched your trip thoroughly, however it's possible you weren't looking in the right places so missed a few important points. For future reference, you might find it helpful to download a free copy of Rick's PDF Rail Guide. A couple of sections that were relevant to some of the points you mentioned: > Page 23 - Train Reservations: "For many trains (local, regional, interregional, many EuroCity and InterCity trains, or Germany's speedy ICE), reservations are not necessary and not worth the trouble and expense unless you're traveling during a busy holiday period." > Page 24 - Rail strikes are a fact of life: "Sporadic trains lumber down the main lines during most strikes and the few remaining station personnel can tell you the expected schedule." You can download the Rail Guide from the "Railpasses" section (look for the Go Green link towards the bottom of the page. I've also encountered strikes in France and narrowly missed some in Italy, but ultimately I did get to my destination (albeit a bit later than expected). One other point to mention - while the regional trains are cheaper, they often involve more changes and can take considerably longer (depending on the specific route). For those reasons, I usually prefer a second class ticket on the "premium trains". Good luck with your future travels!

Posted by
10344 posts

I'm sorry to hear your experience with railpasses was not what you'd hoped for. It's a complex subject. There's a place elsewhere on this site where you can provide Guidebook Feedback to Rick's editors; and it may be that they would find your suggestion helpful regarding giving more emphasis to regional trains. Regarding railpasses in Italy, that subject frequently comes up here and the standard advice, given here on the Helpline, is that railpasses don't make sense for Italy. Rick's book Europe Through The Back Door 2010, in the section "Railpasses vs. Point-to-Point Tickets," does cover some of the points discussed in this thread. Below are quotes from page 100 of the 2010 edition (* * * indicates some sentences have been omitted): "As an alternative to a railpass, point-to-point tickets can be a good budget option. Many Eurail travelers would save money by simply buying tickets as they go. (boldface is mine) * * * {Point-to-point} tickets are easy to buy - and cheaper - in Europe. * * * Many railpasses push adult travelers into first-class, but travelers of any age can save 33 percent over first-class prices by purchasing second-class point-to-point tickets. Point-to-point tickets are often the best bet in cheaper countries (Italy, Spain, Eastern Europe) or for short travel distances."

Posted by
1035 posts

"Ok Ok. I'm sorry Wasn't trying to bash RS or anything we can stop with the public stoning." Stick around, this was pretty tame. This doesn't even qualify as tar and feathering around here. If you want to get in trouble, ask people their age....