Please sign in to post.

Eurail Help

I'm traveling with my wife to Europe. Our definate travel days include; night train between Venice and Vienna, Vienna to Prague, Prague to Munich, Munich to Fussen, Fussen to Rothenburg ODT, and RODT to Frankfurt Airport. I may also want to do a day trip from Vienna to Mauthausen. All of this is within a 3 week period. Which pass works best? Thanks for the help!

Posted by
19240 posts

Not sure you want a rail pass. You can probably do Prague to Munich, Munich to Füssen, Füssen to Rothenburg, and Rothenburg to FRA for less with advance purchase tickets from the Bahn and Bayern-Tickets. It's also possible to get advance purchase tickets from Venice to Vienna and Vienna to Prague.

Posted by
4412 posts

I second Lee's info, and I'd be sure to get the night train reserved ASAP online! Sometimes you need to reserve from either Italy or Austria; sometimes, you can reserve from either country...it just depends.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you book ASAP (up to 90 days allowed) at trenitalia.com, you can get a Smart Price fare of €59/person for bunks in a 4-person couchette or €89/person for beds in a 2-person sleeper on the Venice-Vienna night train. An Einfach-Raus-Ticket costs €28 and is good for 2-5 people traveling all day (after 09:00 on weekdays) in Austria. Buy it in Vienna for your day trip to Mauthausen. If you book ASAP on the Austrian Rail site, you can get a SparSchiene fare as low as €29/person for Vienna-Prague. If you book ASAP on the German Rail site, you can get a Europa-Spezial Tschechien fare as low as €29/person for Prague-Munich (express bus to Nürnberg and an ICE train from there to Munich). Buy Bayern-tickets for Munich-Füssen and Füssen-Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If you book ASAP on the German Rail site, you can get a Sparpreis fare as low as €19/person for Rothenburg ob der Tauber-FRA.