Please sign in to post.

Eurail Global Pass

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I'll be in Great Britain at the end of August for a 15 day trip, arriving at Heathrow, taking the train to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and other places in Scotland such as Stirling, St. Andrews, Inverness, ... From Scotland, I'll be taking the train to the Lake District, Yorkshire, Chester, Wales, Stonehenge, possibly other locations, and finally London.

I'm considering the Eurail Global Mobile Pass Continuous vs. the BritRail Pass. The BritRail Pass is more expensive.
1. Is the Eurail Global Mobile Pass a good choice?
2. Has anyone had any issues using the Eurail Global Mobile Pass?
3. Can I use it on the famous West Highland Line?
4. Anything I'm missing or should consider before deciding?

Thanks in advance for your advice and information.

Posted by
6231 posts

Jesse, I know nothing about the Eurail pass and maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but you're listing 11 places (plus possibly more, you said) on a 15 day trip. At least 2 of those days will be arriving in the country and departing, and then you will spend just about every single day on the train. You will be able to see some scenery from the trains but certainly won't have much time for stops, other than sleeping in a different place each night.

I would strongly suggest that your rethink your itinerary. You could also go to the England and Scottish forums for itinerary help) - if you do, it would help if you were to list what your interests are when choosing travel destinations.

Posted by
4324 posts

the Man in Seat 61 will help with passes. Apparently it's pretty important because GB trains are among the most expensive in Europe.

and yes, slow down and have an actual vacation

Posted by
35 posts

My list of places to visit is my initial wish list which I will pare down once I figure out how long it takes to go from one place to another and which places are high priority for me.

No one has used the Eurail Global Mobile Pass in Great Britain?

Posted by
26840 posts

There have been a few complaints this year about the mobile pass, which I believe is new, but I don't know where the travelers were using (or trying to use) the pass. I encourage you to try to find those posts via the Search function. You might also Google. What I read didn't sound good.

You may find yourself using more buses than anticipated in Scotland; trains don't go everywhere. For example, St. Andrews has no train station.