Please sign in to post.

easy jet

Has anyone ever taken easy jet? They have the best prices from France to Budapest, but I looked them up on yelp, they had horrible reviews. The review stated that the co charged more for baggage fees then they did you flying to and from My friend said it was good, but the one review said one of the passengers was praying

Thanking you in advance

Posted by
4821 posts

Patrica, Yes we have flown Easy Jet and will do so again without any hesitation. Yes they do charge for luggage, but we travel with only a European size carry on so that is not an issue for us. They do restrict you to ONE carry on bag. But, by paying just a little more, one can take a carry on and a personal bag aboard. That also gets you expedited boarding. Again, we would not hesitate to fly with them in the future.

Posted by
23266 posts

What does one of the passengers praying have to do with it???? or easyJet ?? Maybe they are just afraid of flying - period.

We have used easyJet a number of times and prefer them over the other discount airlines. Model closer to Swest in the US. You do have to follow their rules to the letter especially with regard to carry on luggage weight and size. And paying for checked luggage at the gate is more expensive than prepaying on line. IMO, they are one of the better discount airline operations.

PS Forgot to add -- you do have to check-in on line. On our last trip, there was no provision for check-in at the airport.

Posted by
7049 posts

If it's a short flight, why stress over the reviews? I mean, how bad can it be to endure less-than-perfect for a very short flight that happens to be quite inexpensive? I don't read airline reviews for short budget flights - it just makes you anxious and to anticipate the worst ahead of time. Most flights are uneventful, the ones that are reviewed skew toward either great or horrible.

Posted by
3950 posts

We too have flown with Easy Jet and have not had any issues. Yes sometimes you do pay more for a checked bag (if you have one over their 1 bag size requirement) than the cost of the initial ticket but that price can be so low that when you add up the two (ticket plus checked bag) the final cost can be still significantly less than a route competing airline.

I would definitely fly with them again.

Posted by
172 posts

I just flew Easyjet on Oct. 8 from Marseilles to London Gatwick. It was my first flight on a European budget airline and I approached it with much trepidation after reading reviews of other airlines. Easyjet was the only airline offering a direct route for my itinerary.

The flight was great, I would use Easyjet again. Clean airplane, comfortable seat, great service and on time. The price was right also, 39 euro. It's your choice if you want to pay more for extras such as luggage, pre-selected seat or food.

Only downside is they start food and beverage service as soon as the captain rings the "clear to move around" signal and they start from both ends of the aircraft. With the lavatories located fore and aft in the cabin this makes a trip to the lavatory almost impossible until they clear your seat row with the cart. On my flight most people were buying food and it seemed like it took forever to get past my row, row 7.

Posted by
980 posts

I flew with them and would do it again. They are very clear and up front about extra fees so as long as you follow the rules you should not have a problem. In my experience most of the people I've heard complaining about Easy Jet usually ignored the multiple warning about having to pay a higher fee at the airport for excess luggage then showed up and were surprised that there is an airline that actually adheres to it's luggage rules and had to pay out more money on the spot to get to their destination.

DJ

Posted by
262 posts

I fly easy jet frequently and overall find it very good. I have easy jet plus which gives priority boarding, some luggage and choice of seat.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have flown with them several times and am booked with them again for next May. They are my favorite budget airline. My upcoming RT flight was 69 euros. I can live without free drinks and snacks for an hour or so flight. Very easy to book and fly with. What does praying have to do with anything?? People pray before meals, too - does that mean they are afraid of eating the food? Yes, checking a bag can cost more than the flight, but that's because the ticket price is so low (or they have a lot of baggage). Keep in mind, too, that people rarely go online to post a good review, but will do so in a second they are unhappy.

EDIT: It seems that the passenger who was praying was on an extremely turbulent flight. Apparently, the reviewer (who was not the pray-er) blamed Easy Jet for the turbulence. I guess it was also Easy Jet's fault that people didn't keep their seatbelts on, too, since she mentions people being bounced out of their seats. :)

Posted by
3580 posts

I like Easyjet. When ordering online pay attention to the details and options. I have carry on luggage but pay online to check it. It usually is too large for me to carry it onto the plane. With the short nonstop flights it seems there is little chance my bag will be lost. So far, I've never lost a bag when I've checked it. I think you can pay to choose your seat.

Posted by
8138 posts

We've flown them a couple of times, and had no problems.
Their terms are printed in plain English. Before you make your reservations, be sure to carefully read and understand them.
We flew in April from Venice to London Gatwick on British Airways for slightly more $ than what EasyJet charged. Sometimes the big legacy carriers are more competitive than they'd normally like to be.
The budget European airlines are a great asset to travelers. It allows you to visit a region, and cheaply fly to a completely different part of Europe on the way home.

Posted by
11507 posts

Have used Easyjet 5 or 6 times now.. cheap and easy.. You do have to READ the baggage limits and check in rules.. theres nothing hidden. But its a budget airline so don't go expecting niceties.. bring your own food. And no theres no movies etc. .but the flights are generally short europeon hops.. 1-3 hours .. its not like you need a meal and a nap for such a short trip.

Last time we used them was just this past May.. London to Mykonos( that was 3.5 hours) .. so cheap.. even WITH paying for a checked bag cost was under 100 GBPs .. here I couldn't fly anywhere for that.. not even a 20 minute flight. Love Easyjet .

We also use Vueling and Ryanair , and have multiple times.

I think a lot of people resent the extras.. seeing a cheap up front fare, then adding on fees.. but even with add ons these are so cheap compared to what we pay in Canada.

Always prepay to check bag.. its cheapest online.. more at airport. And don't go over size or weight limits with any of these airlines.. the extra fees can be high.

We don't pay to preboard usually.. nor do we bother with ordering food etc.

Posted by
9363 posts

I've never flown routes in which check-in baggage fees were higher than the flight. Was the reviewer specific as to what that particular destination was?

MrsEB, that could easily happen with one of their extremely cheap sales, say the 10 euro fares. In fact, my return flight from Madrid to Paris for May was 29 euros, and my checked bag was 22 euros, which is close to the same thing (though not over). Still, the combination was quite a lot cheaper than any other alternative.

Posted by
17899 posts

Check out Transavia Airlines. Cheap and its out of Orly which means you don't have to mess with the chaos of Chucky D. That alone would be worth a hundred bucks for me.

And if it makes you feel any better, all airlines land at the same airport in Budapest and the airport in Budapest is extremely simple to navigate and transportation into town is cheap.

Posted by
32201 posts

patricia,

easyJet is my preferred budget airline in Europe and I fly with them whenever possible, which I did again in September on a flight from Porto to Basel. Once again the experience was very "easy" and pleasant. I should add however that lately I've been paying for Speedy Boarding and advance seat selection, which makes everything so much "easier". That provides a much faster trip through the bag drop and boarding, and allows me to get seated and get a space in the overhead bins before the "herd" arrives.

I'm not sure what type of reviews you were reading, but you may want to have a look at these.....

http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/easyjet/

As with any budget airline, it's important to read the Terms & Conditions carefully, especially related to baggage rules. Passengers who just buy a basic seat are allowed ONE carry-on item. That doesn't mean "one plus a personal item", it means ONE only. Passengers who pay for some of the options I mentioned above are allowed a personal item. If you'll be checking baggage, pay attention to the weight. If the weight of your luggage will be over the allowable limit for the first tier, it's MUCH cheaper to pay for the next highest weight limit at the time of booking, rather than at the gate.

As others have mentioned, you can print out your boarding pass up to 30 days prior to the flight. If you check-in at the airport, there will be a charge for that. In some airports, passengers are bused out to the plane using the "kneeling buses" and boarding is via stairs at the front and rear. I find that quicker than using the sky bridge.

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, Easyjet are one of the better budget airlines, and they're pretty upfront about their baggage and other charges. I've flown with them quite a number of times and rarely been seriously delayed.

Posted by
1803 posts

I've flown on easy jet several times as well. Even with the charges for checked bags, priority boarding/seating I find it's still reasonably priced.

My flights have been early morning departures and mostly out of one of the London airports. Never had one cancelled and I don't remember any flight delays of significance.

One nice service they offer at London Gatwick, for early morning flights you can drop off checked luggage the night before. One less line to deal with in the morning.

Just read and follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Posted by
293 posts

I have to admit that this long thread has changed my mind about Easy Jet. I fly very seldom, but now I feel, through all of your comments on this thread, that I could have this option while in EU.

Posted by
3950 posts

Yes MsEB, Nancy is correct in what I was referring to. We are on Easyjet's mailing list and we often see fares listed for £10-£19 to some destinations when they are first released. You can bet the cost to add a checked bag to the ticket price will be more than the actual ticket, but still below the competition's price.

Posted by
32201 posts

MrsEB,

One important point to mention about the very low fares that were quoted in a previous reply. As Mona mentioned, those are the prices when the fares are first released. Budget airlines often use a "sliding scale" so fares will increase as the flight fills up. Whether you'll be able to get fares that low will depend when you book in comparison to when the fares were first released.

Posted by
3950 posts

This week might be a good time to look at the EasyJet website as they have a banner saying "Summer 2017 Flights On Sale Thursday 3 November". In looking through some of the slideshow fares currently being announced at the bottom of their webpage I see a few for £9.95 like Inverness to Geneva but most are in the £29-39 range. These fares at the bottom seem to be for flights in the next 2 months that might be undersold.

We treat EasyJet as our inbetween airline possibility once we are already in Europe and an economical way to get between really distant cities. We prefer train travel if the time isn't too great.

When we get their low fare come on emails it's a little bit random and frustrating because often times they aren't between city pairs we are going to but sometimes we just go for it!

Posted by
3950 posts

For anyone considering EasyJet, this link to the routes they fly is helpful http://www.easyjet.com/en/routemap?link_megadrop. Before booking with easyjet though we always check skyscanner.com to see if there are any legacy carriers that might have free baggage or provide miles for a similar price or less.

Posted by
2639 posts

I use Easyjet a lot and as recently as last week. they are a very good low cost carrier but you MUST follow their rules especially regarding carry-on. when they say One Bag then it is not one bag plus a personal item , or One bag plus a laptop bag or One Bag plus a Purse .You will be able to take on a bag from airport shops in addition to your carry-on. On some tickets you are allowed an additional small bag so check before you fly.There is no weight limit for carry on's but there are strict size restrictions so follow them
They are also very good at trying to get folk on the flights early and you really do need to be at the gate when they say you do,I have been on several flights when the plane has left the gate fully 15 minutes early so don't hang about in the bar.