Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe

My wife and I are in the preliminary stages of planning of planning our fourth trip to Europe during late December 2014 for about 16 days. We have been to most of western Europe on our previous trips. We are trying to come up with an ambitious itinerary, which includes Berlin, Prague, Kracow, Vienna, Munich, and Zermatt.

Please provide your feedback on what is realistically doable on this trip. We do not mind traveling by plane, train, or bus during the trip. Also, we need feedback on where to fly in and fly out of. We can easily fly out of Charlotte or Atlanta from the U.S.
Thanks

Posted by
16893 posts

I think the big cities on your list deserve more than two days each. Unless you're going to ski, I would cut Zermatt. Krakow is the next "outlier" that is adding to your travel time. It could be logical to fly into Berlin and out from Munich or Vienna (or from Switzerland if that stays in the mix).

You can see an overview of train travel times on Rick's Time & Cost Map. For detailed train schedules, How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it. There are overnight trains from Prague to Krakow, Krakow to Vienna, and Vienna to Munich or Zurich, but I would not want to do three in a row; or you might find flights at a reasonable price if you book early; see www.skyscanner.com.

Posted by
8141 posts

Your itinerary is truly too ambitious, especially starting so far north in December. European travel in winter is simply not as easy as other times of the year.

You might limit yourself to visiting Berlin, Prague and Vienna as trains go easily between these cities. Krakow is just out of the way, as is Zermatt.

If you're wanting to ski in The Alps, I suggest going from Berlin to Prague by train, and down to Munich by bus. Then take a train down to Innsbruck. Needless to say the skiing there is superlative, and they have great public transit to carry you up to the ski resorts.

You can fly into Berlin and home easily from Munich or Vienna.

Posted by
2081 posts

Michael,

My trip this year is almost what you want to do with the exception of Berlin and Zermatt. I do have one place instead.

But i have budged 3 full days in each city and that includes transportation but my time is 22 days not 16.

Just so you know, you will loose 1 day to get there.

If all you want is a small taste of the places you have listed, thats about all you will get. As long as you know the drawbacks of your itinerary, then you're good to go.

As far as where to travel out of, thats up to you and what airports are close to you. Where you fly out of can make a difference in cost, choices and such.

one comment, when you plan your trip, print out a map of the areas you want to see and figure out some path either linear or circular.. that way it will help you from backtracking (it cost time & $$$ and its no benefit). That way you can find a flight into and out of Europe.

happy trails.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

A tight squeeze but can be done if you modify the itinerary by dropping Zermatt, as already suggested, and by using the night train option for the Berlin-Munich leg (gives you an extra day).

Posted by
254 posts

Thank you all for the information.

We do not ski, but we do want to see the picturesque cap mountains of Switzerland. Where do you recommend besides Zermatt?