Please sign in to post.

Driving in Spain

I will be in Spain and Portugal in a month, and will be renting a car for a few days (separate cars...from Madrid to El Escorial and Segovia with one car, returning it to Madrid, and a few days through Andalucia later). I don't have any plans to drive in Portugal.

My question is are there any unusual logistical issues with driving? I'm especially wondering in light of the recent thread on tolls in Austria. Paying tolls at tollbooths is no problem, assuming they take cash or US credit cards. Is there anything else special that needs to be done? I speak very basic Spanish (I can read road signs, ask for directions in a simple manner, and if stopped by police I could make essentials known, but couldn't read legal disclaimer fine-print or get into technical specifics)

Posted by
3635 posts

1st of all, I think Spain is one of the countries that requires you to get the Int'l Driving Permit, which, if you don't know, is a translation of your U.S. license into several languages. $15 and two passport type photos, at an AAA office. 2nd, be aware that your U.S. cc's probably won't work at automated tool booths, no chip. Be sure to get in a line that indicates there is a human toll taker, and have cash ready as a fallback option. You may find fewer roadside amenities than you are accustomed to, so pay attention to the signs that tell you, as you approach a rest area, how far it is to the next gas, food, etc.

Posted by
1178 posts

The new highways are excellent....actually much better in many cases than those at home!! At the toll booths I have seen (as a passenger, not the driver) there are well marked lanes for automobiles and for trucks/busses....be sure to get in the correct lane, and have euros for the attendant.

The International Drivers License is a must.

I would take the train from Charmartin Train Station to El Escorial or the bus. Also to Segovia. The train to Segovia I think is from Atocha Train Station. I would not recommend driving in Madrid under any circumstances. The traffic is bad, the routes are "different" (tunnels in some lanes of traffic, etc.) And parking would be both expensive and difficult as well.

Posted by
3696 posts

I had no problems driving in Spain... but I was only in the south. No different than any of the other European countries, except I do not remember a ton of toll roads. I did drive from there to Portugal, which I really enjoyed as we traveled a lot of the small towns all along the southern coast and were able to visit these at our leisure. It was a great way to see this area.

Posted by
2768 posts

Thanks for the help! I went to AAA to get the international permit (FYI, if anyone else needs it, it was super easy. There's a basic form on the website, fill it out and bring 2 passport photos and your US license, pay $15, and you get it on the spot).

It looks as though driving should be easy enough. The reason for getting the car in Madrid is so we can do El Escorial and Segovia (possibly Avila as well) in one loop. I don't plan to drive in Madrid other than getting to/from the rental car agency. Hopefully that part won't be too bad.

Posted by
5 posts

Hola! We travel to Spain every summer and always rent cars to see more of the countryside. Toll roads are always clearly marked and they take both cash and cc, just make sure you go to the right lane, which are clearly marked with symbols for each.

We've never had an International DL, and we have been pulled over for speeding a couple of times. We've also been given tickets for speeding that were captured by cameras, so do watch your speed! Those got expensive and ate any savings we were planning on by renting a car! If you do get a ticket of any sort, speeding, parking, etc, you get a huge discount if you pay in person within a certain number of days. Otherwise your rental company pays for it and charges you a huge mark up as a "service fee."

We also have driven in Portugal, but you aren't asking about that.
Buen viaje!

Posted by
30 posts

Hello. My husband and I just spent 10 weeks traveling (driving) through Spain and Portugal. I don't think there are many areas we missed. We did not get an International drivers license and never needed one. Driving in Madrid is doable with one person on the wheel and one person as navigator. Be sure you have your wits about you and get out of town as soon as you can. It was quite stressful! As for Portugal, if you go, many of the tolls there are electronic. As you cross the border look for a place to stop to prepay your electronic tolls. This is very important! Otherwise you will blow through these electronic booths, they will photograph your license plate and you will be charged...eventually. There is no other way to pay the electronic tolls except to pre-pay by buying a toll ticket. You can do this online but it is quite confusing. Another word of advise is to have a GPS. You will travel the majority of your trip with no problems...it's the last mile that bites you with the narrow, twisty, unpredictable and often one-way streets of old towns. All that being said, I wouldn't have done our trip any other way. And we are still married.

Posted by
12313 posts

If you can, stick to the A roads vs. the AP roads. The AP roads have tolls, A are free, AP let you go a little faster but not enough to justify the additional toll. N roads are another option, they are decent roads but go through, rather than around, towns so you lose a little time at roundabouts or lights. I'd still go with N over the AP unless the trip was long enough to save significant time.

I did a trip report here on Spain (Clean Toilets, Affordable Lodging - or something like that) it may give you some hints that will help.