Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

Just wanted some feedback regarding safety and things to look for while driving in Italy.

Posted by
805 posts

Spend the extra money on a GPS rental for your car (this should be true throughout Europe if you ask me). Italy, like much of Europe, can be needlessly confusing without it.

Posted by
864 posts

Driving in Italy is not difficult at all, well, as long as you have someone who can read a map. If you're going to do a lot of exploring buy a REALLY good road atlas (available on-line, frequently at major Italian airport bookstores, do some research). You will need, really I mean it, a good atlas and in the local language. No use looking for Florence when the signs say Firenze. Everything goes well with electronic direction finders until you hit a detour. Bring a highlighter and trace out the next days' route the night before. Get CDW insurance. Yes, your VISA card may provide CDW insurance but, unless they pay up front, you may have to spring for the cost of any damage and be reimbursed later. At least check it out ahead of time and get the answer in writing. Go for a small to medium car. Well, small is actually better in small towns etc. Throw a local paper on the dash, couple empty water bottles on the back seat and try to look as local as possible. I always leave my luggage opened in the trunk. Pretty clear there's nothing there worth stealing.

Posted by
3696 posts

I see you are from Fl. and I don't want to insinuate that everyone in Fl. does it, but you do seem to have a fair number of drivers who chill out in the fast lane (not you, I'm sure)...but you do not want to do that on the Autostrada, or anywhere in Europe for that matter. Stay in the right lane unless you are passing, use your blinkers, and watch out for the motorcycles. I have never had too much trouble finding my way, and I've not had very good maps, but I don't freak out if I get lost...I guess it happens so often I know I will find my way eventually, and I am familiar with the Italian names for cities, so I can usually follow the signs. But, a GPS could be great. I took mine for the first time to England and Wales and it was nice that someone did not have to navigate all the time.

Posted by
7569 posts

Credit card CDW was mentioned, be aware that often this is either not accepted in Italy, or you card does not cover Italy. If you seriously consider this, call your credit card, get the name of the insurance company that operates the program and call them. Ask if you are covered, what is covered, and what happens if there is a claim. Often, you are responsible for damages, then left to sort it out with the insurance company. Many choose to take the rental companies CDW out of convienience, others consider third party coverage. Besides that, learn what you can about ZTL's, otherwise you may have a very expensive trip.

Posted by
361 posts

Quoting you Robin, "things to look for while driving in Italy." I would look out for the crazy Italian drivers of which I am one, we see traffic laws as a loose set of guidelines. Ciao!

Posted by
32212 posts

Robin, Regarding "driving in Italy", these are my usual comments..... One important point to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some case is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information. You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Happy travels!

Posted by
2829 posts

Credit-card CDW is not accepted in Italy without many hassles. Contrary to US, almost all quotations for rental in Italy includes CDW and TP (theft protection), with law-mandated caps on deductibles. Avoid being "scammed" and quote your fares on Italian websites (or even British). Most European-site (even for American companies like Avis, Hertz) quotes will include insurance, but many American sites don't. Resort to British sites if that is the case.

Posted by
253 posts

This bears repeating. The driver CAN NOT also be the navigator. This is by far the most important safety issue you need to remember. If the husband is the better navigator, the wife gets to be the driver. Even with a GPS system, it does not always cover everything you need to know. The driver will be dealing with their own issues, especially once you enter a larger city. Always have a good Michelin map with you as well to cover any other problems. I never drive in Europe - my wife does all the driving. Besides the fact that I do not fit well inside compact cars, making driving them downright dangerous, she is good at the driving, for another thing, but also has issues in being the passenger. Too much scenery-watching and not enough map/GPS consulting. And she has problems with following maps and following directions - funny, becauss she is so good at other aspects of transportation. We use Garmin and download the Europe version onto it and bring it with us. It really, really works great once you get to a city. Before, using RS maps or finding a good local map, took way too long in getting to where you need to go. One other thing. Find out exactly, and I want to stress this, exactly where the car rental wants you to drop the car. If at a train station, the counter is inside the terminal and occasionally the parking is just not there and you need to find a place to return the car. The rental lot is where this is done so you need to know where THAT is, not the car rental office or counter.

Posted by
253 posts

One other caveat you should know. We often drop the car at a smaller town instead of big cities. We do this to catch a train to take us into a larger city or when we are going back to the airport, because returning cars at either has just proven too frustrating for us. It is easier for us to get rid of the car OUTSIDE the city and not have to worry about it (parking, parking tickets, the expense, having it broken into, vadalized - you name it). But you need to call ahead at least a day to the car rental agency and again the day you will be dropping the car off and arrange a drop off time. They may have a key drop - or not. If not, it can be a hassle if they leave the counter or office for lunch (2 hours, usually), or coffee (indeterminate length of absence) and you with a train to catch. Make sure someone is there, regardless.

Posted by
676 posts

I lived in the Pisa area for 2 years, and have driven all over Italy. You need to drive very defensively. All over, there are motorcyclists and little mopeds, and they don't always observe the same traffic rules; they'll come up beside you, around you, cut in front of you. It's worse in cities. It's not like driving anywhere else; I just went back to Pisa after not driving there for a year and I was nervous. They also don't go the speed limit, and like to honk! Also, some stop signs/lights are just "suggestions", always look both ways before going thru, but do it fast or they'll lhonk! :) Definitely don't try to drive and navigate.

Posted by
676 posts

I lived in the Pisa area for 2 years, and have driven all over Italy. You need to drive very defensively. All over, there are motorcyclists and little mopeds, and they don't always observe the same traffic rules; they'll come up beside you, around you, cut in front of you. It's worse in cities. It's not like driving anywhere else; I just went back to Pisa after not driving there for a year and I was nervous. They also don't go the speed limit, and like to honk! Also, some stop signs/lights are just "suggestions", always look both ways before going thru, but do it fast or they'll lhonk! :) Definitely don't try to drive and navigate.

Posted by
361 posts

When I drive in Italy I look for two things, 1.) On the autostrada the flashing of headlights in my rear view mirror, it simply means get the H_ _ L over I am coming through and 2.) Italian drivers (of which yours truly is one) because we view traffic laws as a loose set of guidelines. Ciao!

Posted by
638 posts

John posted "This bears repeating. The driver CAN NOT also be the navigator. This is by far the most important safety issue you need to remember." I'll repeat it John, driving and trying to navigate though not impossible borders on one of the most stressful aspects of European travel. Trying to locate the signage for a street and dealing with the other drivers is an accident waiting to happen. If we Americans have done anything right it is placing the street name signs on the corners, finding them on the side of buildings is great fun if walking but not driving.

Posted by
11 posts

I would recommend getting a GPS that has both NA and European maps already on it, or purchase an outdoor hiking GPS and the Garmin European map set. This way you can establish and download waypoints for all your attractions you want to see and accommodations, restaurants you want to go to, then use those 'lists' to drive the route to them. It really is simple once you develop some experience with the GPS. That's why you should get it in advance and learn rather than renting something you are not familiar with there, and trying to get value from it.