Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

We are looking at driving in Italy. We have driven in the UK, but not in Europe. A few questions:

1. Rent a car for the day in Rome to go to Pompeii, or hire a drive/tour guide?
  2. Rent a car in Arezzo or when we leave Rome, and drop it off in Venice when we arrive? (We are spending a week in a villa in Tuscany and then a week driving to a few other smaller towns between our visits to Rome and Venice, hence the desire to have a car)

Anything, other than an International Driver's License, should we know about driving in Italy? Are there lots of toll roads we should know about? Is there a website that shows the road signs and what they mean, etc.

thank you for your input.

Posted by
8889 posts

Things to know about driving in Italy.
The Autostrada (Motorways, Autobahns) are nearly all toll roads.
The road signs are mostly the same as the UK and the rest of Europe. Click here for a full list

Many cities have a "ZTL" in the middle "Restricted traffic area". This is a pedestrianised area in the centre with access to residents and deliveries only. They are signposted with the red circle "No vehicles" sign (example here), but beware, the car in front may be legal (a resident), and you blindly follow him, get snapped by the camera, and get a fine.

Finally and most important, the italian driving style is nothing like the UK, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED; and it gets worse the further south you go. Do not try to drive around Rome.

Posted by
32711 posts

I don't understand why you would consider option number one. It would be over 220 km each way by car, and be around 2.5 to 3 hours each way plus motorway traffic, hassle, time for getting car, time for returning car, possible ztl problems, Rome traffic, Naples traffic, and the culture shock of southern Italian driving, and parking in Pompei.

There are frequent super fast (300 kph) trains which can be very inexpensive if bought well ahead, which make the journey from Rome to Napoli Centrale station in just over an hour, then downstairs onto the Circumvesuviana private (not national) train (routed to Sorrento, leave at Pompei Scavi) and overall trip time each way is under 2 hours - with no hassle.

That's the choice I would make unless you have pressing reasons for wanting to take much longer by car.

Posted by
8125 posts

Most travel to Pompeii via Naples by train. It's about 150 miles, and the trains are fast and frequent. If you were going to be traveling south to the Amalfi Coast, a driver/tourguide might be warranted after you get there.

Tuscany is a region best seen by rental car. The roads are well paved and easy to navigate. Many take the 70 minute train ride up to Orvieto where the Hertz office is right across the street from the train station. From there, the Autostrada can take you on up to Florence, Bologna and on to Venice.

Just watch for radar/cameras on the causeway going into Venice. They got me at 1.8 mph over the posted speed limit, and it cost me almost $200. The tickets come almost a year later, and the rental car agency will charge your credit card to tell the City your name and address.

Posted by
8125 posts

Most travel to Pompeii via Naples by train. It's about 150 miles, and the trains are fast and frequent. If you were going to be traveling south to the Amalfi Coast, a driver/tourguide might be warranted after you get there.

Tuscany is a region best seen by rental car. The roads are well paved and easy to navigate. Many take the 70 minute train ride up to Orvieto where the Hertz office is right across the street from the train station. From there, the Autostrada can take you on up to Florence, Bologna and on to Venice.

Just watch for radar/cameras on the causeway going into Venice. They got me at 1.8 mph over the posted speed limit, and it cost me almost $200. The tickets come almost a year later, and the rental car agency will charge your credit card to tell the City your name and address.

Posted by
15146 posts
  1. Definitely use the train.
  2. Rent the car at the Tiburtina station as it is very easy to get out Rome from there.

You received already all info needed for driving there regarding IDP ZTL and SIGNAGE. I would like to add that it would be a good idea to take your GPS navigator with EU maps and also an old fashioned paper map (navigators are pranksters sometimes). I don't advise to rent a navigator from the rental company as it costs 15€ day and on a long rental they add up.
Don't be frightened by scaremongering people in this forum who warn you about driving in Italy. It's mostly gross exaggerations. We have a lot of terrorist contributors in this forum who love to scare North Americans. Sometimes they are more effective than ISIS jihadists. They don't show you chopped heads rolling just because the RS webmaster doesn't allow it.

Posted by
247 posts

Driving doesn't sound practical for the areas you'll be crossing. These destinations are well connected by train.

Here's how to Pompeii in detail:

From the main train station in Rome (Roma Termini) catch a train to Naples Centrale station (1 hour ride). When you reach the Centrale station follow the signs down the stairs and down a corridor for "circumvesuviana". Buy a ticket there for the circumvesuviana at that location (its a separate rail line from the regular trenitalia trains and sold separately...kind of like a "toll road" here in the states). It should be less than 5 euro to go to Pompeii on this train.

The circumvesuvania trains leave about every 30 mins. There are also faster trains that leave every few hours...but just pick the next train departing the station as the difference in time isn't dramatic.

The train will have a final destination in Sorrento but you'll get off before that. You will get off the train at the Pompeii Scavi stop. (There are two stops for Pompeii so make sure you hop off at the right one).
The train ride from Naples Centrale to Pompeii will take 45 mins.

Posted by
32200 posts

Cathy,

Just to clarify, you'll be using an International Driver's Permit, which must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. There's no such thing as an "International Driver's License" (at least not that I've ever seen).

I definitely agree with the others. You can easily get from Rome to Pompeii using trains and the Freccia train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale will be much faster and more efficient than by car. From Napolli Centrale, you'll walk downstairs to the Garibaldi station and buy a ticket for the Circumvesuviana. You'll disembark at the Pompeii Scavi station and it's an easy walk from there to the site. The Circumvesuviana has a bit of a "reputation" so be sure to wear Money Belts and be vigilant for scammers.

As you'll be at a Villa in Tuscany, having a car will definitely be an advantage. Renting in Orvieto (Umbria) is a very easy solution. You could also drop the car in Florence as travel from there to Venice is very easy via high speed train. However, be sure not to drive into Florence as the city is just about saturated with automated ZTL cameras.

Posted by
12 posts

We've driven all around Italy and never had a problem. There is really no reason to have a car in cities like Rome or Florence. On our last trip we picked up our car near our hotel in Milan, drove out of town and spent a week driving around Tuscany without any problems. I have a Garmin GPS that I use in the US and Europe and it worked just perfectly, even took us right to the front door of our hotels in the small hilltop towns and villages.

I like having a car, even for short trips. You get to see places tourists rarely go and stop and start as you please.

I have always had an international Driver's License, but never once has anyone asked for it and I have rented cars many many times in Europe. I read it is required, but I am not sure who requires it as no car rental agency has ever asked for it anywhere in Europe.

Posted by
32200 posts

Ira,

" I read it is required, but I am not sure who requires it as no car rental agency has ever asked for it anywhere in Europe."

As long as they get your money, the car rental agencies don't usually care about I.D.P.'s. If you're ever stopped by Police, they may ask for it and if you can't produce the Permit, you'll face fines which are payable on the spot!

Although this isn't Italy, a recent example from Spain.....

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/transportation/you-do-need-an-idp-when-driving-in-spain-or-pay-250-euros

Posted by
37 posts

Thank you everyone for your responses and great information. We will take the train to Napoli and then the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. I hope we can see Pompeii and then go to the top of Mount Vesuvius in the same day. We have a friend who did both in the same day, and said it wasn't a problem.

Mille grazie!