Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

I am beginning to question renting a car and driving in Italy.
What are some of the downfalls of this? We were thinking of getting a car in Como and driving to Lugano and around the lake to enjoy the scenery.

Posted by
1626 posts

We had a rental car for two weeks and drove from Frankfurt to Lake Como to Venice, to Tuscany. Once we arrived in Varenna via car, we didn't get back in the car until we left two days later. I also would say the most harrowing part of driving in Italy was in the Lake Como vincinity. Why drive around the lake when you can take the ferries anyplace around the lake and enjoy the gorgeous scenery and wander around the towns where the ferry stops?

Posted by
3551 posts

I have driven all over Italy and in area you are interested in. You will have no prob around Lake Como or to and from Lugano. It is slower traffic altho on wkends espec you may encounter motorcyclists that are a little speedy. Parking may be a little difficult depending on where you decide to stay.
But that's about it. Have no fear-rent a small size car.

Posted by
32219 posts

Shirley, Here's are some of the usual "caveats" regarding driving in Italy..... It's important to note that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any CAA/AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some cases are provided by the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information on driving in Italy. You may also want to search other Posts here regarding the Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many towns in Italy (especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! In some locations, parking tickets or having "The Boot" applied will also be a concern. A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. It's usually compulsory in Italy to accept the CDW offered by the rental firm. Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however this may not be valid in Italy. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. You may wish to download the car rental guide offered by Gemut. For driving in Switzerland, you'd have to ensure that the rental car was equipped with the Highway Tax Vignette. If you're caught without it, you may face hefty fines. Cheers!

Posted by
12172 posts

I think a GPS is more than a good idea. I had driven many times in Europe with just a map and never had a problem. I bought a GPS after driving in Italy. On the autostradas, there will never be a sign that says, "Next Exit A-10 West". Instead, at the exit, there will be an arrow and a list of little towns you never heard of. You will be scrambling with a map to see if those towns are along the route you want to go, or not. If you take a wrong turn, it takes a long time to get turned around because they are toll roads and exits are few and far between. In the cities, while every building has a street address, street signs and house numbers are the exception rather than the rule. Some streets have a tile on the corner building with the name. On most the tile probably fell off 25 years ago and no one bothered to replace it. Same for building numbers, at best one in five have a number on them. A good GPS will get you to an address without signage and help you take the right exit on the autrstradas. It will also help you find a parking lot because all street parking is likely full. Other than that, Italians are kind of crazy. They drive aggressively. They always let you in - but get incensed if you don't take the opportunity quickly. I judged my success by how many or few horns were honked at me. Red lights are suggestions and the roads, in cities, are crowded (and lanes skinny). I had fun and made it without a scratch on the car, but it's kind of a carnival ride - I wouldn't do it without good insurance.

Posted by
3603 posts

I (73 yr old female) have driven on every one of our 13 trips to Italy, including a recent one. I think Brad exaggerates a wee bit, but just a wee. He's absolutely correct about the signage, however. It's abominable. In addition to the problems he mentioned, roundabout signs don't give route #'s and may indicate a town near or very far, neither of which is the one you're looking for. I prefer to use the autostrade when possible. At least you don't get diverted onto some country road for 20 miles when they are doing road work. You might want to look at my posting under "Driving Europe Crazy" for some warnings about using a gps. As to driver agressiveness, I have cultivated a "who cares about honking" attitude. Unlike the U.S., no one carries a gun in their car; and the agressiveness seems limited to honking, tailgating, and cutting in very sharply. Many roads have frequent turnouts; and if I see a parade collecting behind me, I just pull over and let them pass.

Posted by
3696 posts

I agree with Rosalyn... just let them honk. I always figure I will never see them again anyway. The drive near Como was definitely a bit of a winding challenge, but it was stunningly beautiful. I ended up taking my car on some sort of ferry across the lake and then drove around and explored that area as well... It was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly, but that whole area is great. Love Lugano as well...one of my favorite places.

Posted by
2129 posts

Regarding "I wouldn't do it without good insurance" ... we will be renting a car for about a week in Puglia in October. Do all of you experienced Italian renters generally buy additional insurance ("Super CDW") above the normal insurance that you get when you rent the car? Ours (reserved through AutoEurope) has a 1000 euro deductible for theft and collision, and our credit cards won't cover insurance for cars rented in Italy. Yet when I checked Hertz, adding Super CDW almost doubles the cost of the car rental!

Posted by
3696 posts

As far as insurance.... I wish they would just add it in instead of nickle & diming people...it really irritates me.
I have rented many times with only what I absolutely had to have and took the risk...nothing happened. These days I will purchase the additional insurance offered through amex...it is about $25 for a month and although I am sure there are some loopholes, they assure me there aren't. Not sure if it is available for renting a car in Italy. Check all the companies and be sure to ask what the insurance costs are before you decide which is cheapest. Also, never prepay for the gas... just fill it up yourself. I cringe when I hear people accept this option because the salesperson tells you its 'cheaper'... seriously, do you really think they are going to do you a favor? Who knows that they can return the car empty? Let alone the fact that it is really risky to drive around with no gas in a location that is not familiar.

Posted by
12172 posts

I used AmEx insurance on my last rental in Spain as well (I had to call and have them add insurance manually because it didn't pick up mine automatically, as it's supposed to). A one time $25 charge for CDW on up to a 40 day rental is a great deal. Even if you have a $500 deductible, you're probably saving that off the CDW rental insurance alone. I didn't end up with a claim (true of every drive to date) so I can't really say how well it works when you need it. It's only offered on some AmEx cards (Costco is one) and there are limitations depending on the state you live in and where you rent. If it fits your trip, it's one of the best deals out there.

Posted by
3603 posts

Re: the amex insurance. It's a great deal, and I always get it except for Italy. Unfortunately, Italy is excluded. We always have a car for our trips because we like to explore the countryside and find little, out-of-the-way places. However, If I were you, I would analyze my itinerary to see how much a car would add to my trip. Depends on how many days you have and where you want to go. Sounds like the suggestion to use ferries (and trains, perhaps) is very worth considering.

Posted by
410 posts

I consider myself a confident and experienced driver but I found driving in Italy quite intimidating, initially. They do drive very aggressively and roar up quite close behind you before overtaking. Once you get used to it, it is fine. The horn honking can also be intimidating - I guess it is meant to be - but like others have said, just ignore it. In terms of real scare factor the only one was the Amalfi coast on a weekend - not sure I would care to repeat that.