Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

My wife and I are arriving in Italy on July 1st for the whole month. We are arriving at Rome Fiumicino Airport at 7 am. We are renting a car and have asked for a GPS with English interpretation. How difficult is it going to be to get from the airport car rental to Umbria? I have read may horror stories about driving in Italy and how the highway signs are not anything like the USA. Has any one experienced doing the same route that we plan on doing? And how difficult was it. I am a little worried about driving in a not familiar country and not speaking the language. Any help that some one can be will be appreciated. Thank you
John

Posted by
2876 posts

We've done that drive a couple of times. The drive isn't difficult at all, especially with a GPS. The airport is west of the city. A few miles after exiting the airport you'll hop on the A90 which will take you around the city to the north, where you'll catch the A1/E35 north toward Umbria. You will not have to drive in Rome itself. Viamichelin lists the driving time from FCO to Perugia - the largest town in Umbria - as 2 hrs 32 minutes and the distance as 126 miles, of which 114 are on motorways - similar to our interstate. Anywhere that tourists go, you'll find English-speaking Italians. And even if you don't, you won't have any problem making yourself understood. Millions of English-speaking tourists visit Italy every year. They're used to us. We've never had a problem; I don't think you will either. Relax and enjoy. Don't speed - there are automated speed cameras all around Italy.

Posted by
13 posts

Tom, Thanks for your help. I'm usually not a person that has problems with anxiety. I think I'll just stop reading into things and just do it. I'm not exactly a first time traveler. Italy will be a first though. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.
John

Posted by
3586 posts

I agree with the advice already given, with one addition. If you are renting for a month, almost any extra cost for the gps will add up to close to, if not more than, the cost of buying your own. In addition, if you buy your own, you'll have time to familiarize yourself with its operation. Car rental agencies are notorious for not having special request vehicles on hand when renters arrive, so that's another reason to bring your own. Which ever way you decide to go, I strongly urge you to read the various postings about gps usage on this site.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks that very good advice. Didn't realize that.
John

Posted by
797 posts

Since you are renting as opposed to leasing, I would first recommend that you get your own GPS and a European map chip to eliminate the chance of your car not having one. Learn how to use it before you get there. The last thing you want to be doing is trying to figure out how to use a strange GPS while getting used to all the other strange things you will encounter picking up the car. You also want to have some decent paper maps as a back up as well as giving you a way to see where you are on the grand scale of things. The road signs on secondary roads in Italy are somewhere between terrible ans non existent. It's like highway numbers are a national secret. As to driving itself, the drivers are on the aggressive side but no worse than you would encounter in New York or Boston. The biggest problem I ran into were the motorcycle and motor scooter riders. I think the Italians have a unique helmet design sucks every working brain cell out of their heads when they put the helmet on. Be advised, in Italy and International Driving Permit is required, GET ONE. If you are in doubt about getting one, please go t the driving section of the Graffiti Wall and look up my comments dated 09/10/2012 and Bob Holton's posting dated 01/06/2012.

Posted by
3586 posts

Irv's comment about the non-existence of highway signs reminded me of something else you should know, John. On our last trip to Italy, I kept seeing signs warning that there were cameras monitoring one's driving speed; but there weren't any speed limit signs! Someone on this site (Nigel?) clarified that a few months ago, when he explained to all of us that in most European countries it's your responsibility to know what the standard limits are for the various kinds of roads. You'll mostly see signs only when there is a deviation from the standard. For our next trip I intend to put those numbers on a post-it, stuck to the dashboard. As for the craziness of Italian drivers, just try to ignore all the honking they do. If someone tailgates you, you can always pull over and let him (yes . . .it's always men) pass.

Posted by
32173 posts

John, Here's some other information you'll need to be aware of.... It's important to note that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any CAA/AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some cases is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information on I.D.P's and driving in Italy. You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! There's also the issue of parking tickets and the possibility of having "The Boot" applied, and high fuel costs, tolls, etc. A GPS along with a good Map would also be prudent. Be sure to give some thought to the question of CDW and theft insurance. In Italy, buying CDW from the rental firm is usually compulsory, so coverage provided by credit cards will not apply. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. You could also download the "Car Rental" PDF Guide from Gemut. Happy travels!

Posted by
7453 posts

Please do not get too discouraged. Driving in Italy does have it's ups and downs, and generally, I do not rent in Italy, as I have stuck to sites with rail access or buses. Since you will be there an extended time, if most of it will be in Umbria, a car is very handy there as well as Tuscany since rail service is limited to a few lines, and relying on the bus eats up time. If Umbria is just a stop and not a home base, and you are planning on hitting the major sites (Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompeii)....then maybe reconsider a full month rental, opting for short term rentals in Umbria/Tuscany and train to the major cities. Driving the open countryside in Italy is one thing, attempting to drive in Rome, Florence, or Naples quite another. There is also no need to go through a Tour Group (Well, unless it is Rick Steves Tours) many of us on here have traveled on our own many times. Trains are easy to use, Rick Steves, Europe Through the Back Door has loads of good basic travel information. Maybe share your itinerary with us and we could provide some specific advise.

Posted by
12172 posts

Speed limits are yet another good reason to get a GPS. If your unit is current, it will show you both speed limits on your road AND warn you of photo enforcement zones. I never used a GPS until I drove in Italy. After my first driving experience there, I went home and promptly ordered a quality GPS - now a GPS is part of my pack list if I'm going to be driving (which is getting more common as my itineraries include more out of the way sights).

Posted by
13 posts

I thank you all for your posts. The more I read the more I realize we should have gone through a tour agency. Our trip to Thailand was for a month also, but our tour company supplied all transportation. We found it to be confining at some points where we wanted to stay longer. But the stress of driving/parking/gas/tolls and fines were non existent. It was normal to see elephants coming down the road in Bangkok. I haven't had to many positive feed backs about driving in Italy. Oh Well! This should prove to be interesting.
John

Posted by
15043 posts

Road signs in Italy are in compliance with those established in the United Nations International Convention on Road Signs and Signals signed in Vienna in 1968. This set of road signs established at the Vienna convention have been adopted by virtually all European countries and by all members of the EU. The road signs use symbols more than written words and they are unlike anything like the US because the US has not adopted the UN convention and uses mostly words. Since the signs are symbols and are largely intuitive and self explanatory, you will have no problems understanding them, however a complete list is below. I suggest you become familiar with it, especially the signs which may not appear intuitive. I suggest you print them in color and take with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Italy From the Rome FCO airport to Umbria is nearly all freeway driving. The only thing you need to know about freeways in Europe is that cruising on the left lane is prohibited. The left lane is passing lane only. Once you've passed the vehicle(s) ahead of you, you must move back to the right lanes. It is also prohibited to pass vehicle from their right side. You can only pass them from their left side using the left lanes. Knowledge of English is not necessary to drive in Europe, as long as you know all the road sign symbol in the website above. PS: One more rule. There is no right turn on a red light, ever. Unless there is a right arrow light that is green. You are set to go. Learn how to drive manual transmission car, if you don't already, unless you plan to pay more for the rental of an automatic gear car.

Posted by
3696 posts

John... I have driven in Italy numerous times, and while I agree with the motorcycles, aggressive drivers, etc. this is really the best way to see Tuscany. I have never driven there with a GPS and I don't have a great sense of direction. I now have my own that I have used in Europe many times and it does make life a little easier, so I would take it now. Thankfully I just started driving in Europe before I found this website or I might have been too afraid:)
Seriously the road has cars and lanes and we even drive on the same side of the road as here at home. Tons of people (yes, tourists) drive in Italy. Just remember to stay in that right lane unless passing. If you drive on 95, you can drive in Italy.

Posted by
13 posts

All you people really rock!! I didn't expect such great feed back. My wife and I have always gone on "safe" vacations where other people set your daily schedule, You get to see a lot but you get exhausted with the amount of travel. We spent so much time in Thailand traveling that we actually were glad to get home. Too bad because Thailand is beautiful. Italy is our next adventure and we decided to do it with a month rental of car and house. We can more or less control our own destiny. Driving is my only concern. Once I become confident with handling driving in Italy things will fine. We lived in Boston for years so I guess we're programmed for the aggressive, 1 finger salute's. Thank You every one that has posted to my original post, I appreciate it and hope to meet you or people like you on the road.
John