Please sign in to post.

Driving in France

With the added emphasis reducing road accidents in France I understand the police are really looking to catch speeders so I want to make sure I understand the rules. I know than when entering a village there will be a sign giving the name of the village and the road number, then down the road a bit will be the reduced speed limit sign. I know that we must actually reduce speed when we see the village sign, not the speed limit sign itself.
My question is, when do you resume the higher speed limit when you exit the village. On google maps I see a sign with the name of the village with a line through it which indicates we are leaving the village but I do not see a rapelle sigh after that. So do we resume at the exit village sigh? Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
425 posts

In towns/villages the limit is normally 50kph but watch for 30kph signs (usually near schools). When you leave the village you can normally assume that the limit reverts to 90kph, but it is often 70kph if you are still in an inhabited area outside town - there will be signs indicating this. Fixed speed cameras are nowhere near as prevalent as in the UK - the Gendarmes seem to prefer the hand-held variety. As drivers tend to "flash" on-coming traffic to warn of speed traps, the cops often only stay in one spot for 30 mins or so before moving somewhere else.
Roger

Posted by
265 posts

In most of Europe, standard speed limits are used. That means that each country has a set of standard speed limits applying to built up areas, rural roads and motorways, respectively. The standard limit for built up areas is 50 km/h in France (and most other European countries, BTW). This limit begins at the town entry sign (with the town name in a red box) and ends at the town exit sign (with the town name crossed over). Within the town there can also be local speed limits posted, different from 50 km/h. Outside towns, the limit is 90 km/h, on motorways, it's 130 km/h. These limits are in force except when other limits are posted.

Posted by
425 posts

Just for info ..... Saw a speed trap today which most folk would not even notice ... two guys in camouflage fatigues (the Gendarmerie Nationale is a para-military organisation) in an unmarked car with a tripod-mounted "ray gun" outside. Beware!
Roger