Please sign in to post.

Delta Airbus A 330 center row seat question

The plane features a 2/4/2 seat set-up. We are a family of four. Is the center row comfortable or is better to book 2 and 2 for the window, lean on the wall scenario? Is economy comfort worth the extra cost for the power port and extra recline?

Posted by
9363 posts

Economy Comfort is well worth the small price upgrade! I think with a family of four, having a row to yourselves would be nice. I generally travel alone, but I prefer the middle section

Posted by
507 posts

What are the family members' preferences? I am a sleeper and prefer the window seat to rest my head against {Edit: . . . the wall. You do not mention the ages of the younger members of the family if any. You could always be close w/a 2/2 combo in rows one behind the other.}

My last post for this thread.

Posted by
11294 posts

There's no right or wrong answer to the seat selection question; it's what you prefer. I love 2/4/2, because no matter which non-aisle seat you get, you only have to climb over one other person to get to the bathroom. So, choose based on whether someone wants a window or not.

As for economy comfort, the extra legroom is very nice; most do feel it's worth the extra price. As for power ports: does your plane have USB ports in the regular coach seats (many do these days)? If not, then upgrading is also nice. Of course, you have to balance these niceties against the cost, times four, of upgrading.

Posted by
11613 posts

Delta is still one of the most economic economy-comfort upgrades, I think. I buy the economy comfort seat all the time, I prefer feeling like a sardine rather than an anchovy. Actually, economy-comfort is quite comfortable. I like Ken's logic about having a row to yourselves.

Posted by
731 posts

I upgraded our seats to Economy Comfort for April.....I was enthralled with not only the legroom but the fact we can plug in our devices (which may be very appealing for young people)! Our Delta flight home has a 3-4-3 seating configuration, which just is the puts for us since I like the window, hubby likes the aisle! For the OP, I think all 4 in the row would work best (at least for my family)....you all would just be disturbing each other if you had to get up to use the restroom. For us the upgrade added $69 each going to Amsterdam and $89 each coming home from Paris. With my hubby's height (6'1") it was worth it (And I won't have to deal with a crabby dh)!

Posted by
2349 posts

Am I the only one who would upgrade for me and hubby, and let the kids suck it up in Discomfort?

I think if kids were 10 or 12 and below, I'd do the 4 across. Older than that, 2 and 2. I wouldn't want to be in between with family members leaning on me from both sides.

Posted by
795 posts

I highly recommend their Business Elite class travel which is well worth the price. Your family would get snacks and beverages in their comfy lounge before boarding and once in your seats on board, you get snacks, a 5 course dinner, and breakfast plus your own entertainment center with movies and music. The seats turned into full flat beds and you can actually sleep. You'll arrived refreshed, not exhausted. Also all seats have easy access to the aisles and window seats face the window. And @Karen, I would never upgrade my husband and my self and let our children "suck it up in discomfort." We respect them as human beings and wouldn't treat them in a way we ourselves wouldn't want to be treated. This is why we have a super-close family and the respect of the children.

Posted by
2349 posts

Ah, well, I prefer a cold, distant family, and the disrespect of my children. But whatever makes you happy.

Posted by
7209 posts

It's difficult to read things like "well worth the price to upgrade to economy comfort" when ALL economy seats should come standard with a level of respect and comfort that any paying passenger deserves. The airlines have devised the "Abysmal" class of seats which used to be known as coach. The airlines have degraded the "comfort" to such a low point that people now say "well worth the price just to not sit there". No, it's not well worth the extra price just to be treated humanly and not folded up and squeezed in like chickens into metal cages on their way to the slaughter house. Maybe your health and sanity and require a seat where your knees aren't gouged by the seat in front of you and where your seat actually reclines without hitting the passenger behind you in the face.

I just hate that airlines have devised plans to make us think sitting in an abnormally rotten seat is normal. It's not and never will be.

Posted by
1976 posts

I would totally book 2 and 2 for the window/wall. I hate the middle section because it seems like you can feel the movement of the plane more, and because I like looking outside.

Posted by
2745 posts

If your kids are old enough to understand that they stay IN their "discomfort" and don't get to hang out near mom and dad up front go for it. (The FAs and other passengers will put an end to the kids "camping" out in the aisle near you and disturbing the rest of us LOL!)

Of course in the highly unlikely event there is an emergency you will be stuck with your kids back in the back, but that' s not a problem is it?