Please sign in to post.

DB German Rail STRIKE - update -

Expect massive service interruptions in the German rail network with impact even to bordering countries with growing intensity from day to day starting this week's Wednesday. Check the announcements on www.bahn.de.

Posted by
2779 posts

There will be no strikes on overnight and car trains operated by DB.

Posted by
12 posts

We depart the states August 26, will be going to Istanbul, Odessa, & Kiev, (do you have any suggestions for Kiev?) then to Frankfurt for a tour of Germany, ending in Berlin on September 29. We would like to use the twin rail 4 day pass from Berlin to Frankfurt (Plane departs on October 3 around 2:30). My question is should we wait to purchase this "twin 4 day rail pass" at a machine or ticket counter? Is it the same price of $172. each for 2nd class there? Should we wait due to possible lengthy rail strike? What are options if no trains running to Frankfurt? We are the couple who you suggested we use the route: Potsdam, Leipzig, Eisenach, Bamburg, Wurzburg, Frankfurt. Do we need to reserve rooms now or wing it and try to find a zimmer frei when we get there? We did reserve a room in Leipzig, but what about the other towns? What do you suggest we not miss in the other towns? Sorry for all the questions, you are most knowledgeable and we really appreciate your assistance. Than

Posted by
2779 posts

Studies have found out that a rail strike costs the German economy €500,000,000 per day. I don't think (and of course hope) that it'll last for more than two weeks. Therefore if I was you I'd continue with my plannings and bookings as scheduled. And sorry, no, I've never been to Kiev.

Posted by
19092 posts

Lisa,

you can only purchase German Rail passes at select "Aide" offices in Germany (major rail stations) and then only 5 or 10 days.