Please sign in to post.

Customs in Rome

I'm flying into Rome and am scheduled to land at 9:25a. I would like to take a flight out of Rome at 11a. I would be arriving at Terminal 5 and leaving from Terminal 3. Should I be able to make it? Thoughts on 1.5 hour transition time? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
15898 posts

You won't be arriving at term.5. Terminal 5 has no airplanes arriving or departing. It's just a check in/security processing terminal.
You will be arriving at terminal 3. Whether 1.5 hrs are enough, will depend on whether you are flying on one ticket, whether you have checked bags, whether you are checking in again with bags again with another low cost airline, where are you flying to, and, above all, whether your arriving flight is timely. Give us more details on airlines and destinations.

Posted by
7939 posts

Maybe need more information... Will you be arriving in Rome directly from the US (No other stops) or from a country outside the Schengen zone? If so, you will need to go through immigration, a delay of 15 min up to 45 min, maybe more on a bad day. Is this on a single itinerary? Meaning did you book a trip from Jacksonville, FL to Venice on the same ticket/code share partners, or did you purchase the ticket from Rome to ??? separately? If purchased separately, then it is always risky, missing the flight could mean forfeiting your ticket. In those cases, best to leave plenty of time, or plan on spending a night or two in Rome. Will you have Checked bags? This would be a double (triple? whammy) if you booked separate tickets, then you would need to gothrough Immigration, wait for your bags, then go check into your next flight, check your bags, go through security, then find your gate, your plane having left well before you. Probably more issues if that second flight is someplace outside of the Schengen zone.

Posted by
23573 posts

The big issue is immigrations. If coming from outside the Schengen zone you will need to go through immigrations. It is a dice roll from 20 mins to two hours. However, if on a tight schedule grab one of the uniform people and he/she will put you at the front of the line.

Posted by
2 posts

First, thanks to those that have taken time to jot down some notes and guidance. I will be arriving in Rome from he states and heading out to Greece. The flights would be booked separately; it would be a different airline. My hope was to be able to make the connection so that I could make a boat out of Athens to Paros.
Thanks again

Posted by
23573 posts

That makes a huge difference. One and half is too tight because it is actually could be 45 mins. Someone airlines cut off check in 45 minutes prior to departure. Here are the problem points --- 1. Your plane on time - 15 or 20 minutes late could be huge. 2. Deplaning - Depending on your seat location could be another ten minutes or more. We missed a connect once when we were you seated in the far back corner. Thirty minutes to get off the plane. 3. Immigrations - As stated earlier a dice roll but you can probably jump the line. 4. Check in other airline.
5. Security check - Depending on time of day it can be real zoo at Rome. Early in the morning is OK. I would plan at least 3 hours, maybe 4. Why not fly direct to Athens?