Please sign in to post.

Customs & Immigration in Dublin

Flying BOS - DUB - FCO round trip next month. Will we be going through customs and or immigration both on our way there and back? We only have 1.5 hour layover on way over (seems tight), 3 hours on way back. Trying to determine how much time it will take to get out of the airport once we arrive at FCO then back in Boston but more importantly, to understand the process better than Aer Lingus is explaining it.

Has anyone done this trip recently? We will have checked bags if that makes a difference. Thanks for any insight.

Posted by
2512 posts

You stay airside in Dublin - no immigration as you do not enter Ireland. Make your way to your connecting flight. Immigration will occur in Italy.

On your return, you do immigration as you enter Ireland and you also do US pre-clearance - US immigration at Dublin

Posted by
1825 posts

Is Dublin to FCO on Aer Lingus? IF so, follow the green flight connection signs. There are folks around those signs usually if you have questions.

Posted by
4 posts

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

Yes, Aer Lingus. The green light tip is an excellent one!

When we arrive back home in Boston, will there be any other lines to wait in (customs?) once we deplane, or can we just get our bags and leave the airport?

Posted by
1825 posts

I have been to and from Europe several times through Ireland and pre clearance in Dublin is like pre clearance in Canada. You do it all before you board your flight and then when you land stateside, you walk off the plane, get your luggage if not carry one & head for your ground transport just like you do for domestic flights.

Posted by
11187 posts

just get (y)our bags and leave the airport

You will have done everything in DUB.

Posted by
676 posts

1.5 hours layover seems is a little tight to me too, but remember you'll have the jet stream going that way so you'll land a little earlier unless you take off exceptionally late. If you have big concerns as you get closer to Dublin talk to your flight attendant and they can reassure you and/or help you get off the plane sooner.

Posted by
612 posts

If flying from Dublin back to the United States then upon arrival in Boston you will depart the plane as you would a domestic flight. Grab your bags and go. Immigration (passport control) and customs will occur at Dublin’s airport.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the links Laurie Beth and Frank II. All of these answers make the process clear to me & truly help in making an easy plan for pick up in Boston at the end a busy travel day. What a relief!

I deeply appreciate the tremendous knowledge, expertise and willingness to share that this wonderful forum provides. Looking forward to passing it on when possible!

Posted by
10 posts

Download and use the Mobile Customs app for when you return to Boston. We used it at JFK in March arriving back from Lisbon. We had a connection at JFK back to DTW and the app saved us a lot of time because there was no line at immigration.
More info here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control.

Edited to add .. I see Dublin has preclearance to the U.S. so the mobile app will be unnecessary, but I highly recommend it for people returning to the U.S. without preclearance.