Please sign in to post.

Croatia

What is the most direct and easiest way to fly into Croatia/the Dalmation Coast without spending a fortune. We are going to fly from Houston. Would you fly into another country (Italy) and then take a local carrier into Dubrovnik or ??, or fly directly to one of Croatia's cities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
1556 posts

Yours is an impossible question to answer. You will need to do the research on flight prices and connections. Any of the major carriers from both the US and Europe can get you to the major hubs in Europe (FRA for LH, UA/CO), AMS for KLM/Delta/Air France, LHR for BA, etc. You are going to have to see which hub you can get a cheap ticket into and then also figure out if you can get a cheap intra-Europe flight. All of the carriers above in combo with their partners will be able to get you to either Split, Dubrovnik, or Zagreb to start your vacation. It will come down to what sales come up and how much hassle you want to put up with with buying multiple tickets to get you to your final destination.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your reply. Cost really wasn't my major factor. I just stated my question poorly. Do you know which city in Croatia has the most active international airport?

Posted by
1556 posts

My guess is either Zagreb or Dubrovnik will have lots of flights. I know there are also flights into Split but not sure of frequency. Try the following two websites to check various possible routings on the major airline alliances. Here is the star alliance website (probably useful to you since CO is part of it) http://www.staralliance.com/en/ Here is the oneworld website
http://www.oneworld.com/ow/flight-info

Posted by
3112 posts

The airport in Croatia with the best international connections is Zagreb, from which you can fly Croatia Airlines to multiple destinations within the country.

Posted by
689 posts

Getting to the Dalmation coast is just not that convenient from the US. If you COULD fly to Zagreb from Houston, definitely do it, but I don't think their are direct flights from anywhere in the US to anywhere in Croatia. You will need to fly to a bigger hub in Europe than transfer. Another thing to keep in mind is that while Croatia Air codeshares with some bigger airlines, like Air France, you can't always book on the bigger airlines websites. For instance, I'm looking to book Seattle to Dubrovnik next spring, and I know I can book Air france to Paris then Croatia Air (codeshare with AF) to DBV. But, the Air France website makes it look like they won't get you to Dubrovnik--you have to call, and they will do it for you over the phone. This is preferable to me than booking the two airlines separately, since then you are screwed if you miss your second flight.