Please sign in to post.

cost of train tickets in Italy for Summer 2008

when does the cost of tickets usually available on Trenitalia (or anywhere else)for the upcoming summer? I am trying to cost our trip and can't get any information on single tickets, only for the rail passes.

Posted by
1449 posts

Prices might rise before this summer, but they're unlikely to be significantly different than they are now (they're in Euros, not dollars, a stronger currency these days). Just go to the trenitalia site and put in a date next month to see the March price. The summer price will be similar if not the same.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you insert a date within 60 days from today, you'll get accurate timetables and fares on the Trenitalia site. Be aware that new train timetables throughout Europe are issued in early June. When May comes, if you enter a date too far into June, you won't get accurate information.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you. I'll try that. This will be our first trip to Italy and only for a short 2 weeks. My fear is to spend too much time in train stations or sitting on a train instead of visiting and enjoying the country. We are flying to/from Rome (4 days), then on to Florence (3 days?) then ...? My gut feeling is that it might be wise to skip Venice on such a short trip, but going to Italy without seeing Venice?? I must see Pompei too.. Decisions, decisions.

Posted by
473 posts

Not sure exactly what you mean by "a short 2 weeks", but including Venice in a 2-week trip that includes Rome and Florence is very doable. Don't know if you have your airline tickets yet, but if you flew into Milan and out of Rome (or vice-versa), it would be very easy to include Venice into such a trip. By flying such an open-jaws itinerary, you could go north to south (or vice-versa).

Posted by
11 posts

'short 2 weeks'.. I just wish it was for longer.
Open-jaw flights is not a possibility - it has to be to/from Rome