Please sign in to post.

Connection time in Munich

We are planning a trip in 2018 starting in Barcelona, then continuing into Italy. United is showing a flight from Newark to Barcelona, with a 1 hr and 20 min layover in Munich. That seems to be an uncomfortably close connection for my taste. Has anyone had experience with short layovers in the Munich airport? The flight out of Munich would be on Lufthansa, which I see is in the same terminal as United. Thanks.

Posted by
20218 posts

Look at how many flights there are on Lufthansa after the one shown on your schedule. That way, you'll know that if the connection is missed, you have a back-up.

Posted by
3603 posts

We have had even shorter connection times in Germany; and not only did we make the flight, but so did our bags. Usually, we've changed at FRA; but a couple of times it's been at Munich. The Germans are stereotypically efficient, and our experience seems to uphold their image.

Posted by
20218 posts

That being said, there is no guarantee your United flight from EWR will land on time. I looked, and there seems to be Lufthansa flights at 12:55, 15:05, and 19:00, so they have you covered.

Posted by
598 posts

Thanks everyone. I did check the other Lufthansa flights in case the United flight is delayed and saw several. Another option is Delta to JFK, but that has a 12 hour layover, oh my!

Posted by
11213 posts

If you are flying EWR-MUC-BCN, on a single booking, which is what I see on the UAL site, then as long as there are more flights MUC-BCN, after yours, its the airline's responsibility to arrange a later connection.

It does look like there are multiple choices on the UAL site, so you could choose a booking that has a longer layover in MUC

If EWR-MUC is one ticket( booking) and MUC-BCN is a separate one then you are on your own, and likely out the money for another flight should you miss your original scheduled flight

No personal experience in Munich.

Posted by
19106 posts

The United gate(s) at MUC are on the far end of the "outside-Schengen" level of Terminal 2. It's a long walk to the middle of the terminal and immigration. Then you go to the other floor, for intra-Europe flights. If you don't already have your tickets, try to book your trans-Atlantic leg on Lufthansa. The gates are closer to immigration and the experience is much better than United.

Posted by
598 posts

Thanks for all this information. It really helps. I haven't purchased tickets yet and am still working on a broad itinerary. We may actually decide, after all is said and done, to begin the trip in Rome and end in Barcelona. That might resolve some of the connection time issues. But I will say, as many of you know, it is so frustrating looking at airline schedules, they seem to change frequently, if not daily. I am using Google Flights and ITA but will purchase directly from the airline. Thanks for the assistance!