Please sign in to post.

Connecting flight

I am traveling home from Scotland to the US and have a connecting flight at CDG Paris to Detroit USA. Arrival is at 12:20 and departure to Detroit is at 1:30. The airline noted that I may not make the connection. If I make it but my luggage doesn't how can I claim it & go through customs in Detroit? What happens if your luggage gets lost traveling internationally?

Posted by
1986 posts

I had luggage lost going to Europe. When the bag was found they contacted me and I had to pick it up at a customs location (as I recall), they asked me questions and I noticed that they had been through my bag. Obviously when you arrive and your luggage doesnt, report it before leaving the baggage area

Posted by
676 posts

I've had luggage lost in Atlanta, just report it-hopefully you'll have time as 1 hour isn't much to get thru customs etc-and go home. It'll eventually get to you. You will not have to go to the airport to get it, it should come to you. It could take a few days, I've waited 2-3 days a couple times. They may look in it. Carry on valuables.

Posted by
23568 posts

The higher probability is that you will not make the connection and your luggage will. Do you have a back up plan if you don't make it? Even the airline doesn't think you will make it.

Posted by
2170 posts

Can you pack lighter so you don't have to check your bag? We always travel with carry-on bags only, specifically to eliminate this worry. Lots of tips on this board regarding how to do that.