Please sign in to post.

Condor Air

Has anyone flown on Condor Air and what type of experience did you have - good, bad, ??
considering a flight from Austin to Nice.

Posted by
8145 posts

2nd largest German airline with 42 airplanes. Lufthansa sold them to Thomas Cook Travel. Don't know anyone that has flown them.
British Airways flies to London Heathrow from Austin. Their flights may be pretty costly.
But the great budget airline, Norwegian Air Shuttle starts flying Austin to London Gatwick on March 27th. From Gatwick, you can easily get to virtually any popular European for very little £>on EasyJet.,com

Posted by
11322 posts

We flew Frankfurt to Seattle in October 2016 and were happy once we upgraded to premium economy. We were in regular economy, traveling with a cat, and when the couple in front of us reclined their seats, we could hardly twitch much less function (and we are not big people). So we paid extra to upgrade to two available premium economy seats. Well worth it! The attendants were very nice and food decent enough.

Posted by
16287 posts

We will be flying home from our next trip on Condor. My husband has back problems and we usually fly business class on British with our miles, but we were out of miles at the time to book. Business class to Seattle on Condor was only $1125 each. Not flying until August but I can post a report then.

Posted by
14510 posts

I flew Condor a long time ago. That was in the 1980s and 1992, 4 trips on 8 flights from SFO to Frankfurt FRA. r/t. Does that count? My experiences then were all satisfactory, nothing negative to say about Condor.

Posted by
211 posts

We flew Condor PDX to Frankfurt and onto Italy with Lufthansa in 2016. A friend of a friend had flown a few times and all was fine, so we tried it. Economy, it was tight but it was all we could afford and really the fastest way to get to where we wanted to go. I am 5'9" and the shortest in the family and we survived. If I could sleep on a plane it would have been so much better but I can't and with the guy behind us with his knees in my back the whole flight it was impossible (He was trying to sleep curled up on two seats). Not the airlines problem. I know they say the distance between the seats is small, but I fly Alaska and those probably have even less than Condor in economy. The Condor stewardess dumped my son's food on his shirt and that stain did not come out so it cost a shirt also. Food wasn't great but it was dinner and breakfast on way over, only one meal on way back. This year we are going to fly one way on Iceland air, a first for us, but two hours shorter than Condor route. Then we are taking Condor back, well lufthansa to Frankfurt and then Condor to PDX and we paid 100 more for premium economy because 6 inches of leg room, free seat assignment and upgraded meal and more movies. Economy got two movies and they were the same two months in a row (we flew over one month and back the next). We were delayed in the plane for an hour before take off (not an airline issue) and let's just say 12 and half hours in that economy seat was not fun and we all looked at that leg room when getting off the plane and said wow that would be awesome. That trip the upgrade per segment was almost $400, this time we can afford it. They did not weigh or measure our bags at home or FRA. I obsessed over this because 6kg was not enough so we did check 4 carry on size rollers (not anywhere near full) and carried on small backpacks/or tote bags. I could have gotten by with just the stuff in my backpack but I need enjoy more than 3 shirts. The half empty rollers worked great because things really expand as you go along and we had room to bring back stuff. Yes we would fly again because the price is right essentially. I really don't think any airline has awesome service anymore. I used to love Alaska but they have gone downhill in service and uphill in prices since the bought another airline. If you can get nonstop at the price you want then yes go for it.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks to everyone for the information. We would be flying Business Class if we use Condor Air. Seems reasonable just have never heard of it before and wasn't sure if we wanted to give it a try. Anyone have experience with them in Business class?

Posted by
4519 posts

Like the above poster we paired one ways out on Icelandair and return Condor for the best price.

Legroom is tight in coach. Food not great but free. One movie free. No seat selection, however about $100 more if selecting exit rows solves legroom problem. I was incensed that seat selection on the German language site was 50% cheaper but I couldn’t bring up my reservation on it. In business all these concerns disappear.

Allow plenty of transfer time at FRA since Condor and Lufthansa are far apart.

Posted by
2622 posts

I've flown Condor - Coach, Premium Economy and Business. Coach is super tight and I only did it once. Now I upgrade to Premium Economy which is nice but it's not anything like Business. Plenty of legroom, food okay and lots of good TV. Last time we flew we bought an upgrade to Business on the way home. It was the best flight I've ever had but I've never flown Business before. Condor is not like...say British Air Business or AA, I think. The seats are NEARY lie flat but not actually flat. But I loved them - I'm not that tall - I was able to stretch out and sleep. More food than I could manage. I wish I could fly Business with them every time.

Posted by
108 posts

I have flown Condor seven times in the last five years on the ANC-FRA or SEA-FRA routes. Six of those flights were coach and one was business class. The aircraft used have been very well equipped 757’s with a display screen at every seat. The service has been excellent. The flights have been nine to ten hours and as long as I keep my mind busy reading or watching movies, flying coach has been just fine. I have tried both the standard and Premium meals and did not notice much of a difference so these days I opt for the standard meals. They have always been on time.

Last June, as I was waiting to depart Frankfurt for Anchorage, they were offering to upgrade passengers to business class. I inquired and they made me a deal I could not refuse. Business class is VERY nice. The seat was motorized and I was able to put it in any configuration I could think of. I do not recall if it went completely flat but if it didn’t it was pretty darn close. I also received a blanket, slippers, eyeshades, ear plugs, socks, and audio headsets.

I highly recommend them.

Posted by
4637 posts

If I could fly business class I would not care on which airline. It would be better than economy on the best airline. I flew Condor few times from Frankfurt to Seattle. I did not notice any significant difference comparing to other airlines other that they are usually cheaper.

Posted by
740 posts

I'm taking Condor from Portland to/from Frankfurt in June. I paid for business class thinking this may be the closest I ever get to one of those comfortable pods the other airlines parade you through on the way to Economy Discomfort.

Curious to see how comfortable the "almost lie-flat" seats will be. I've never been able to sleep well on a plane.