Please sign in to post.

cinque terre hiking

I would like to know about the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza. Is it dangerous? Is it very scenic? Thanks!

Posted by
3580 posts

I did this hike a few years ago. It is very scenic and not especially dangerous. There are lots and lots of steps, several series of over 100 (I counted them). Wear sturdy shoes and carry water. If you want an easy hike do the two trail segments at the southern end starting in Riomaggiore and ending in Corniglia.

Posted by
6898 posts

True about the scenery but as senior citizens, we decided not to do this hike. We just keep seeing information about the heights, narrow trails and dropoffs and decided we could skip this one. However, we did the other 3 and they were great. If you are young and in shape, the trail between Monterosso and Vernazza should not be a problem.

Posted by
4637 posts

From Monterosso the trail is steep, a lot of stairs and up up up. It is easier from Vernazza to Monterosso than the other way around. It is very scenic, at places little narrow and little exposed but I don't think it's dangerous for average hiker.

Posted by
220 posts

I wouldn't call it dangerous, but you do need to pay attention in the narrow sections and travel light.

Posted by
191 posts

I highly recommend this hike it was probably one of my favorite things i did my 5 weeks in Europe.

When I did the hike in May of 06 I was very out of shape and so it took me just over 3 hours with lots of stopping. I would take lots of water because even in mid May it was very warm, and I drank a small bottle within the first 30 mins.

The hike does have some trecherous moments but nothing to dangerous, but defiently do it from Vernazza to Monterosso, as I think the other way would be very difficult.

The whole way is scenic and i took a ton of photos, I was also suprised by how many people were on the trail, it got quite busy, so defiently do it in the morning. If your interested in any photos I took just let me know.

Posted by
43 posts

I didn't find it dangerous. It was very scenic. One more thing: my wife hated it! It isn't the easiest hike I have ever been on. I would rate it moderate in difficulty. My wife found it pretty hard.

Posted by
2341 posts

It is spectacular! One of the best hikes I've done, ever. I agree with prior posts that Vernazza to Monterosso would be the "easier" direction (since I did it just the opposite way). It is a moderately difficult hike on uneven ground in places, and many steps. If it is raining, I actually think it would be dangerous, as some parts of the trail are mostly rocks and would get slippery. That said, if you take your time, you'd be fine - just be careful when passing people going the opposite direction.

Posted by
552 posts

Studies have shown that walking uphill lowers cholesterol, downhill lowers blood pressure.

Hike both ways. Don't take the bus back if possible.

Posted by
1 posts

I was just getting ready to ask a related logistical question: We are driving from Milan and this area is our first destination then we will be travel south to other small Tuscany towns later. So how do you "do" the Cinque Terre with a car - sounds like you drive to La Spezia and then take the train...so what do you do with your car if you elect to stay in on of the villages? Do you carry your clothes on your back for this two days and on the hike... I'm just having a heck of a time trying to figure out the easiest way to see the cinque terra then travel south to Tuscany. Help me, PULEEZ,all you experienced Rick Steves Travelers!!!!

Laurel

Posted by
6898 posts

Laurel, the CT is situated on a steep hillside (and sometimes cliffs). Plus, it's really out of the way from most of Italy. You spend a bit of time to get there and return from there. You simply can't expect to come in from the north and drive through the towns. Only the train and the high road from Levanto to La Spezia connect the towns. There are no lower roads connecting the towns. A car is a liability in the CT. I've sent you a PM with a bit more information on parking in the CT.

Posted by
12172 posts

I hiked with my wife and kids. It's scenic and has many areas of climbing or descending. I didn't think anything was particularly hard or dangerous. My kids really enjoyed the cat stations, picnic tables overrun by cats with a collection box to buy them food.

I'll second the travel light. You will probably get hot on the trail, some areas have shade others don't. Bring water or stop for a drink at the different villages. We hiked South from Vernazza, took the train back North, then hiked back to Vernazza.