Please sign in to post.

cinque terre

in my itinerary i will be in pisa then heading to the cinque terre ( monterosso al mare to be specific . is my only option to go by bus, my map i have in my R.S. book, says there is a train station there.. but what railway to do i need to take to get there, especially from pisa? would i need to go to florence first, or? i dont know if this makes sense.. but basically im asking how i can get here from pisa.

Posted by
51 posts

and also to get from the cinque terre, then to venice.. ! thank you

Posted by
3313 posts

Not a problem. From Pisa you can catch a train directly to La Spezia which is the gateway to the Cinque Terre. You may be able to get a local train that will take you to Monterosso. Don't stress about it. You can find the right train once you're in Pisa.

To get to Venice, you can either go north to Genoa and then through Milan from there, or go to Florence and go on from there.

Posted by
32173 posts

brittany, there are two "gateways" to the Cinque Terre - La Spezia on the south and Genova on the north (which is the closest point to Monterossa al Mare).

For example, there's a train leaving Pisa at 10:33, arriving Monterosso at 12:39 (2H06M, no changes). That particular train doesn't run every day, do check the schedule for the exact days you want to travel.

Be sure to keep track of the towns as you're passing, so that you disembark at the correct stop. Also, some of the trains only stop for a short time, so BE READY with your luggage, or you might be heading for the next stop!

Posted by
51 posts

ken, may i ask where you are finding this information about the departure times of the trains. I've looked at the timetable on the eurail site, and i there is no exact stop for monterosso al mare, and even if im to be looking at the genoa stop, there is no 10:33 train?.. (p.s.-what is the 2H06M?) your like talking in code for me.. ha

Posted by
51 posts

also, ken... i guess we are practically neighbours eh? .. ha..

Posted by
1717 posts

Brittany, I think the way to travel from a Cinque Terre village to Venice in the shortest time is to go from Monterosso to Milan in the Express train, and ride in a Euro Star train from Milan to Venice.

Posted by
32173 posts

brittany, I normally use the www.bahn.de website (German rail network), as it's about the most comprehensive "one stop" source of information. Be sure to click on the "English" flag on the upper right corner.

When checking a particular train route, be sure to also check the notation on the bottom left on whether that route runs every day. Some trains only operate on "work days" or whatever.

My "code" referred to the duration of the trip 2 hours and 06 minutes (or whatever I listed - I can't see my previous reply while on this page).

Yes, we are somewhat neighbors! Depending on when your trip takes place, you might end up flying out of Kelowna. They're extending the runway to accomodate direct flights to/from Europe (I suspect for the skiers, golfers and wine tourists). That's supposed to be in place by this fall!

Cheers!

Posted by
6898 posts

Brittany, all trains leaving Pisa to the Northwest (coastline) WILL go through the CT. I believe that all will stop at La Spezia. Beyond La Spezia, some will stop at Monterosso and some won't. This isn't a big problem. Click on this sample TRAIN SCHEDULE to see the train runs. Note that some require a train change at La Spezia and others don't. The IC trains are faster. The EC trains will require a seat reservation. The R trains are locals that stop at every stop. Trust us on the site when we say this entire process is not difficult. Notice that the trains run almost every hour. At the Pisa train station, walk up to the ticket window and say "Monterosso". The fare is about 11.90 Euro per person. Get your ticket and get on the next train. Again, this is not difficult.