Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

I will be going to CT from Milan on July 18th and will have to leave for Venice on 19th. My deliema is whether to stay overnight in CT and take the train from Montesorro to Bologna to Venice arrivig around 1:30 pm on 19th or go back to Milan on 18th and leave for Venice early morning in order to save few hours. Thank you.

Posted by
6898 posts

If you can stay in Monterosso, the train you want is the 7:35am train out of Monterosso. This train departs La Spezia Centrale at 7:52 and there is one train change in Bologna to a Eurostar. You do arrive in Venice just after 1:00pm. If you stay in any of the other 4 towns, you will have to get to either Monterosso or La Spezia to meet this train. Not too many locals running that early. The last choice would be to stay at the Continental is La Spezia which is one block away from the train station.

Posted by
32212 posts

Anu,

In the same circumstances, I'd probably leave for the C.T. as early as possible on 18 July and spend at least one night there. Leave the C.T. on 19 July in time to get to Venice in the late afternoon.

Are you going to be staying in Monterosso al Mare, or one of the other villages? When researching trains, I usually enter La Spezia as the starting point as the local trains from the vilages to La Spezia run fairly frequently. I haven't researched the trains, but it's very probable that trains will be limited as 19th is a Sunday. If you want a better choice, returning to Milan might be necessary?

Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

Got your PM. If you take the 5:19am from Monterosso, you will be in Milan at 8:20. No train changes. If you can change trains in 15 minutes (buy your tickets while in the CT), there's an 8:35 EScity train that will get you into Venice at 10:55am. These are Sunday trains.

The next train out of Monterosso is at 6:55am. You have to wait 45 minutes in Milan for the next train to Venice. This 10:35 train arrives in Venice at 13:10. This arrival time in Venice is the same as the 7:35 out of Monterosso going to Venice via La Spezia and Bologna.