Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

We are staying in San Gimignano for 3 weeks in Sept./Oct of this year and want to visit Cinque Terre. What is the best method of getting there, other than driving ourselves? We realize that we may have to visit twice.

Tks.

Posted by
8700 posts

Jette,

I think you'll need to take a bus to Siena and trains from there to the Cinque Terre.

See this page for information and links for the bus and train.

Posted by
7209 posts

3 weeks in San Gimignano is an awfully long time. We day tripped there from Florence and that was plenty for us.

You don't want to drive to the Cinque Terre because parking is rather non-existent.

Is this your first time to Italy?

Posted by
10 posts

Yes, it is our first time and it is our choice to stay for 3 weeks - this is something we have wanted to do and already have a booking in a beautiful flat. When we travel to Europe we do long stays to get the full benefit of a country. I was wondering about buses or trains to Cinque Terre.

We have had friends do long stays in San Gim who loved it.

Posted by
7209 posts

I'm glad your friends liked it, and I hope you do, too. It was much too touristy for us, and a tad bit boring. There are so many places to see in Italy especially with 3 weeks of time there. Cinque Terre is best visited via train...as is Venice, Rome, Florence, Sorrento (Pompeii). Are you not interested in those places at all?

Posted by
10 posts

We will be taking at least two trips to Cinque Terre, perhaps more. Our main interst is Tuscany and we will do day trips in that area and perhaps Umbria. We are staying in Florence for 4 nights and Rome for 3 then onto Spain for another 4 weeks.

Tky for your info.