Please sign in to post.

Chunnel

What can anyone tell me about taking the Chunnel from Paris to London?
Thank you

Posted by
9100 posts

The Chunnel is fast and comfortable and will take you from city center- to city center in 2 hours 20 minutes; faster than a plane. It uses airline style pricing so the sooner you book the cheaper it will be. Head to the official Chunnel site for schedules fares and tickets: http://www.tinyurl.com/chunnel-train Be aware that on your travel day you have to check-in for your train 30 minutes prior to departure.

Posted by
20163 posts

Book early to get a good price. You must be checked in a minimum 30 minutes before the posted train departure time and you need to go through security and passport control. Go www.eurostar.com for more info. Also www.seat61.com for a third party's take (very reliable).
Oh, and "chunnel" is so last year. (smiley face emoticon)

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much for your quick reply. This is the first time I will have traveled out of the country. It is also the first time I have used this site. Thanks again,
Carole

Posted by
619 posts

Michael Thanks for posting that link from the faux word Chunnel to the website for Eurostar, who currently operate the Passenger trains through the Channel Tunnel. In a few years' time, you will also be able to take DB trains through the tunnel as well. Be careful of the link to Eurotunnel, however. As you know, they don't run passenger trains but do operate the tunnel itself, and the shuttle trains which take cars and other vehicles through the tunnel. Getting your terms right avoids unnecessary confusion.

Posted by
521 posts

Oh, and "chunnel" is so last year. (smiley face emoticon) The last time I heard anyone use that term, they said the "chunnel" was going to be a really far out groovy thing that would be used by all the hepcats. No, really...

Posted by
9100 posts

You're welcome Bob. In a few years' time, you will also be able to take DB trains through the Channel Tunnel So I hear: British newspaper article using the term chunnel Don't know if you're a skier or not but the Chunnel train folks in partnership with TGV will get you to the Swiss Alps from the UK so you can enjoy that white power. More details here: http://www.tinyurl.com/chunnel-ski-train

Posted by
2081 posts

its normally dark inside..... from what i remember,if you use the TGV, its like a 20 minute part of the trip. last time i took it, i didnt even notice it with the exception of my ears popping and it did that alot with the several tunnels between London and Paris. happy trails.

Posted by
11507 posts

Carole, the "Chunnel" is a cutesy nickname for the tunnel that goes under the English Channel,, the EUROSTAR is the train you want to take to get back and forth. Buy your tickets on the EUROSTAR website.. Go to www.eurostar.com/ The Eurostar takes 2.5 hours city center to city center. Its fast and comfortable. Bring your own food though, everyone does and its allowed,, including booze if you wish.. I always travel second class as its fine for such a short trip. Buy your ticket 3 months in advance to get best prices. I pick my tickets at station, if you choose to do so be sure to bring the credit card you used to purchase the ticket with, without it they will not release the ticket to you, even if you have all the right id. Buying your ticket by going to RailEurope is not usually as advantageous, they are sometimes more expensive and they do not list all the departure times per day.

Posted by
32213 posts

Carole, You may find it very helpful to have a look at the excellent Man In Seat 61 website. That provides an excellent description on travel on the EuroStar via the Channel Tunnel, including how to buy tickets. As the others have mentioned, you'll clear Passport control at the point of departure and you MUST check-in at least 30 minutes prior to departure. You'll also have to go through airport-style security with X-Ray machines, etc. Some items are prohibited on the EuroStar (ie: large knives). Check their website for details. Buying tickets WELL in advance will provide the most favourable prices. Happy travels!

Posted by
8293 posts

I thought I said it was time for the children to go to bed!!!

Posted by
2193 posts

You have to admit that when Michael started calling people out a while back for their prententious corrections of folks using the term chunnel, it all sort of stopped. Now, I have to go finish breakfast, using my utensils European style, of course.