Please sign in to post.
Posted by
33565 posts

The correct name for the big hole in ground where the train goes under the big water is the Channel Tunnel. Although occasional newspaper article may use the abbreviation to make a short pithy leader, and Rick Steves sometimes uses it, and a percentage of contributors here use it (in bold) it is very uncommon to hear "chunnel" on this side of the ocean. If you ask a Londoner, or Parisien, about the chunnel you are likely to get a blank look.

Eurostar, as you say, is the correct expression for the train.

If you are going from Paris to London, you will need Gare du Nord, just inside the main entrance and upstairs. There is a lift or two if you don't fancy the stairs.

You need to check in at least 30 minutes prior to departure - strictly enforced - and you will need to clear security after check in. I have been stuck in some mega queues there. I checked in there an hour ahead earlier this year and barely made my train.

The trains are comfortable and well lit, and very fast. The big tunnel is a non-event, just a bit dark out. If you go at night you won't notice the change.

You will arrive at London St Pancras International station. You'll go down some ramps and through Customs where unless you are stopped you will not notice unless you look at the frosted glass walls around you. You will go out into a large modern station with lots of food options and shops. You can go out a side door to the taxi rank or out the front of the station for most buses (one near the taxi rank) or across the road to London Kings Cross station with its loads of restaurants and trains to York and Scotland. You can also go down into the London Underground with many Underground line going all over London. The Circle, Piccadilly, Hammersmith and City, Victoria, Northern Line (Bank Branch), and Metropolitan lines all pass through the station, as well as train lines of Thameslink (First Capital Connect), East Midlands Trains, and the high speed Southeastern Javelins.

What sort of thing were you hoping to have answers for?

Posted by
10558 posts

Buy your ticket as soon as you know your date. They are sold 6 months out. I bought our London-Paris tickets exactly 6 months ahead. Friends who decided to join us bought their tickets several weeks later. They paid twice as much for the same class tickets. The price will only increase.

Posted by
2081 posts

rbennett6662,

the Eurostar was my first inter country high speed train ride in Europe. I did take it from Dover to Calais many many years ago by car, but by passenger it was more fun.

Really sweet ride and comfy.

if i remember correctly its about a 2h20minute ride.

happy trails.