Please sign in to post.

checked luggage

I usually do carry on luggage only, no checked. I am flying Delta (with Alitalia codeshare), all the same ticket, from San Diego to Palermo Sicily with connections in New York and Rome. I have decided to check my luggage to give myself a break from lugging it onto plane. My question is will my luggage be checked all the way through to Palermo or will I have to pick it up in Rome and go through security and then recheck?

Posted by
23290 posts

Nope. Should be checked to Palermo. You go through immigration (passport control) in Rome, security in Rome, fly on to Palermo, get your luggage and a quick walk through the Green Door for customs in Palermo.

Posted by
156 posts

That would be wonderful as I am going for lowkey trip. Thanks for your quick reply Frank.

Posted by
4007 posts

You will be able to follow your checked luggage on the Delta app if you choose to check it on Delta flights. What I don't know is if the last leg on Alitalia will be included in the baggage tracking functionality on the Delta app.

Posted by
156 posts

Ahh tracking that is a great idea Continental tx. I did recently download the Delta app but have not used yet.

Posted by
1323 posts

When you get your luggage receipt, check that it has the code for Palermo.

Posted by
15082 posts

You may have to pick it up in Rome. Rome and Palermo are in the same country and I believe customs takes place in the first entry into the country of your final destination.

Posted by
2512 posts

Passport control occurs when you first enter the Schengen area/Italy (i. e. Rome).

Customs (for things) occurs when you collect your luggage in Palermo. Customs is a non-event unless you’re smuggling.

Posted by
3207 posts

I usually check my carryon sized wheelie. I think you will find you will love not having the baggage with you. My bag has never been lost. I do the following things to help assure its delivery:
1. put something distinctive on your handles; i.e., wrap distinctive fabric or bandana on the handles...try not to have any of the wraps hanging.
2. take a photograph of the bag once made distinctive and have it with you.

3. label inside and out with your name, and itinerary inside.
4. when they tag your bag make sure the tag has the Palermo airport on it.
5. have a decent amount of time between flights, so the ground crew has time to move it between flights.
6. carry at least a partial change of clothes. I consider this an insurance policy, as long as I have this I won't need it.
7. put nothing in your bag that you can't live without; i.e., meds, chargers, etc.
I believe you have to help the airline by doing the above.

Posted by
156 posts

Thank you for all the replies! I am really looking forward to not carting my wheeled carry on thru all the different airports as well as worrying if i will have overhead space when i get to my seat. i will definitely carry some essentials in a smaller shoulder bag.

Posted by
11294 posts

Frank II has the correct procedure for arriving in the US, but arriving in Italy is different.

For your outbound flight, your checked bag should be tagged PMO (make sure of this). You will then not see it until Palermo.

In New York, if your flight from New York JFK to Rome FCO is on Delta, you will leave from terminal 4. There is an airside bus between terminals 2 and 4, so if you arrive in terminal 2, you do not need to go through security again to get to your next flight. If you're all in terminal 4, you also do not have to go through security for your Rome-bound flight. However, if you are flying Alitalia from JFK to FCO, that flight leaves from terminal 1. There is no airside transport between terminal 1 and other terminals, so you WILL have to go through security to get to this flight. To get to terminal 1 from terminals 2 or 4, take the Airtrain, but be SURE you are on the correct one. There are three different Airtrains, going in two different directions! Each Airtrain station has uniformed helpers - be sure to ask them to confirm that you are getting on the right train, or you will waste a lot of time.

In Rome, you will go through passport control and go to your next flight to Palermo. In Palermo, you will pick up your checked bag and walk through the "Green Channel Nothing to Declare" line. Unless you're "randomly selected for additional screening" (possible but rare), you're done.

On the way home, if you're flying the same route in reverse, your bags should be tagged SAN. You will go through passport control in Rome (point of exit of the Schengen zone). In JFK, you will go through immigration, then pick up your checked luggage, then go through customs. Right outside the customs door, there will be a "baggage recheck" desk for you to deposit your checked luggage. You then make your way to your next flight, passing through security (since you've now left the secure area). You are now done with customs and immigration; your arrival in San Diego is like any other domestic arrival.

While you're downloading apps, be sure to get Mobile Passport. At least the last time I used it, the lines for it were MUCH shorter than regular immigration and customs, and even shorter than the Global Entry lines! You can download it now and put on your passport and photo, so some of the work is already done when you actually use it to land.

Posted by
4007 posts

However, if you are flying Alitalia from JFK to FCO, that flight
leaves from terminal 1. There is no airside transport between terminal
1 and other terminals, so you WILL have to go through security to get
to this flight. To get to terminal 1 from terminals 2 or 4, take the
Airtrain, but be SURE you are on the correct one. There are three
different Airtrains, going in two different directions! Each Airtrain
station has uniformed helpers - be sure to ask them to confirm that
you are getting on the right train, or you will waste a lot of time.

If I may add to Harold's advice, if there are no uniformed employees available (and that can happen), you will be taking the Airline Terminals Airtrain. The other two Airtrains (Jamaica and Howard Beach) are GOING THE WRONG WAY. Avoid them. Take the Airtrain that is a Terminal train only. The trains are marked so pay attention before you board.

Posted by
996 posts

If your ticket is booked all as one flight (with multiple connections), then your luggage will arrive in Palermo. You do not have to find it in Rome.

Note that when you arrive in Palermo, your luggage may arrive in a separate area since it's originating in a country outside Italy. When we flew US to Palermo (via Rome) last year, we first thought our luggage hadn't reached Palermo with us. Then we discovered that luggage on the same flight may arrive in two separate places depending on the country of origin. Your experience may be different, but I wanted to share our experience so you wouldn't have the same moment of panic if your checked luggage doesn't arrive where you expect to see it.

Posted by
156 posts

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to share pertinent information with me as sounds as though will be very helpful. Can imagine my panic if my bag did not show up. I would not know to check elsewhere.