Please sign in to post.

Checked Bag Question

On a trip to europe with 3 segments, changing planes twice, all on the same ticket. The final segment is a codeshare on a regional airline…. Is there ever a scenario where I’d have to re-claim a checked bag before reaching the final stop? If so, what would that be?

Yes, I know there is a possibility of the bag getting delayed or lost, but that’s a different conversation.

Posted by
15011 posts

Probably none but what is the actual route?

You would have to make sure that when you check in your bag, it is tagged for your final destination.

Posted by
934 posts

When going over to Europe, you will not need to reclaim your bag - it will meet you at your final destination.

When coming back to the States, if your 1st stop in the States is NOT your final home airport, after you go through Immigration & Passport Control, you will reclaim your bag and put it on another belt to recheck it - it's a quick & easy process.

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Carolyn. About ten years ago, yes, we had to get and recheck our bags. Our itinerary included Cleveland / Montreal / Brussels / Bologna, all on one ticket. Bags were tagged to final destination, but in Montreal, we had to get our checked bags and drop it on a different belt for the next flight. Easy process, but yes, we did need to retrieve and re-drop. Have a great trip!

Posted by
13943 posts

"I’ll be flying SEA-ATL-Madrid on Delta and changing to Air Europa for the last leg to Mallorca. All on 1 ticket from Delta (air europa is a codeshare)."

Based on OP's information on her boarding pass question and assuming this is the same trip, You'd check your bag in Seattle, making sure it's tagged thru to Mallorca, and then pick it up at the end of your trip. It looks like the 3 letter airport code for Palma de Mallorca is PMI so bend over the counter to make sure that is the tag the gate agent puts on your luggage.

BTW, the same is not true coming back home. At your first US stop you'll go thru Immigration, collect your bag, go thru US Customs, recheck your bag with the airline agents in the International area, clear security again and be on your way.

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks everyone.

And Pam, yes it’s the same flight. My daughter is requesting that I check a bag so I can take several extra things to her in Mallorca. 😂 When all goes as planned, no big deal. But… My biggest concern is that something unexpected might happen in Madrid such as a cancelled flight or whatever, and I’d have to manage not only my carry-on but also a checked bag. And deal with a foreign language, chaos, exhaustion, and my very poor hearing all by myself. So… just to be certain, do you think the bag checked thru to Mallorca would continue on without me having to claim and re-check it even if that final leg were cancelled and I had to take different flight?

Posted by
1654 posts

If you misconnect (due to a delay or a cancelled flight) the airline will put you on a different flight. And your luggage will go on that flight too. If you end up having to spend the night somewhere the airline will provide you with a hotel, meals and transportation, and will on request get your luggage. But I would just make sure I have some essentials for one night in my hand luggage.

And you can expect the staff at the airport that you will deal with the speak English. Often even better English than you get in the UK or the US...

Posted by
11180 posts

It appears Aireuropa has 4 other flights ( after your 1015 scheduled flight) that would get you to Majorca by ~630PM.

I would not expect you would have to spend the night in Madrid

Posted by
15011 posts

My daughter is requesting that I check a bag so I can take several extra things to her in Mallorca

Look into this:

Send My Bag

I've used them and they were very good. It might be worth it for piece of mind. You don't even need things to be in a suitcase.

Posted by
17925 posts

If you misconnect (due to a delay or a cancelled flight) the airline
will put you on a different flight. And your luggage will go on that
flight too. If you end up having to spend the night somewhere the
airline will provide you with a hotel, meals and transportation, and
will on request get your luggage. But I would just make sure I have
some essentials for one night in my hand luggage.

And you can expect the staff at the airport that you will deal with
the speak English. Often even better English than you get in the UK or
the US...

WengenK, Ditto.

Carolyn, never hurts to ask the question. Now, relax and have a good time. If anything does go wrong call it part of the adventure and run with it. Laugh even.

Posted by
10195 posts

I wouldn't use Send My Bag in this case: a move--yes, but a vacation--no.

First, I just had coffee here in France this morning with a woman who moved here and used Send My Bag for five boxes. Three arrived but two boxes have been sitting in French customs for three weeks. She has no idea when they'll be delivered. When I moved to France, the one suitcase I sent with Send My Bag took a week though it was scheduled for 3 days; I think it was the big jars of Costco vitamins that held mine up. OTOH, some arrive in two days.

Second, she would need to be careful about to whom the bag is addressed: if the daughter's name is on it and if she's been a Spanish resident for over year; she'd have to pay duty on the contents. We have stories of 40euros customs charges on 10euros gifts sent. It's crazy.

People who want to know their suitcase's location, put an Apple Airtag inside their suitcase and monitor its progress.

Posted by
67 posts

Wengen, it sounds like I’d not have to re-claim the bag if a flight is cancelled en route, thanks.

Posted by
5517 posts

Wengen, it sounds like I’d not have to re-claim the bag if a flight is cancelled en route, thanks.

It depends. I was on a BA flight that was delayed while we were in the gate area and subsequently cancelled. The luggage was offloaded. We had to pick up the luggage from the baggage claim and then go to the BA desk to rebook. In that case, there were no other BA flights that evening.

If a flight gets cancelled, you maybe given instructions about your checked baggage. If not, ask when you go to the airline desk to get booked on another flight.